Just found this forum - I've signed up to learn more

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SoroSoro, 18th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SoroSoro

SoroSoro Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Looks like you have a lovely forum going on here. I just read through the thread @MTR posted on her Melbourne townhouse build. Maybe I'll get there one day.

I moved to Melbourne last year and I'm currently paying over $2k/month for a small, old 2BR in Southbank. This was a landing point as I was looking for a job and wanted to be close to the CBD. My lease is coming up and I want to get into something larger and nicer - likely a bit outside the CBD.

My initial thought was to rent somewhere in the Murrumbeena area and then save up a bit to purchase something in 2-3 years. I'm a little concerned that the market is bubbled and due for a correction - housing in the Murrumbeena area has gone up 20% in the last year. Seems a bit crazy.

Now that I've been looking around on here, I'm wondering if I should consider buying something, even it if it puts me a little farther outside of the CBD.

I have about $100-120k in savings/stock market that I could tap, and figured on looking at something in the $750k range for a 3BR. That's why I was figuring on 2-3 years to save up a bit more cash and see if the market will correct. I'd hate to get into something and then have the bottom fall out, but as this would be a PPOR as a first time home buyer, as long as we pick something we can afford and are happy with it's not the end of the world.

There is a school in the Murrumbeena area that we'd like to send our kids to, but that's a few years off. Just figured it made sense to look for property there, but certainly can go a bit farther out and drive in.

Also - any advice on looking for an accountant? I'm in desperate need of someone to help start sorting through all this. I'm bumping up against the $180k bracket and want to make sure I'm making smart decisions. Also any readings for a complete newbie would help.

MTR, Xenia and shimmy like this.
  2. SoroSoro

I read The Endless Empire tonight - sounds a bit too good to be true. Borrow lots of $, buy property, never sell, rinse, repeat. Poof $10M portfolio.

His examples seem to always start with a fully paid of $1-2M property to borrow against.

Xenia likes this.
  3. shimmy

shimmy Well-Known Member

Hi Soro, I just joined here today too and thought I would say hi and good luck with everything. :)

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Welcome aboard :)

Cheers

Jamie

5. SoroSoro

Thanks guys. After talking with a co-working, I'm wondering if I should look to purchase an IP and just continue to rent to take advantage of the tax benefits. I'll have a look around and see if there is anything in my price range. If I set aside $100k for a deposit, should I be looking for an LVR of 88%? So around $800k? Or do I need to subtract stamp duty, etc from my deposit?

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Hi Soro
    Welcome. MTR is a fabulous person to learn from and very helpful. I'm sure you will gain lots from other members too.

Good to have you here.
    X