Just bought an apartment, is it too late to change my home loan structure?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by IanZ, 17th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. IanZ

IanZ New Member

Before I start explaining my problem, I just want to say that the sharing on this forum is absolutely amazing, I've been learning a lot lately by reading posts from @Terry_w and @Jamie Moore.

So a year ago I moved to Canberra for a government grad position and purchased an off-the-plan apartment. The apartment is close to completion now so recently I applied for a great fixed rate (at 3.69%), P&I, no offset account home loan with NAB. However after reading @Jamie Moore's post here, I realise that eventually I'll want to upgrade to a bigger place when I have family and turn my PPOR apartment into an investment property, and therefore I should get an interest-only (IO) loan with an offset account for now.

To change my loan structure, I went back to my NAB banker to see if I can
    • split my NAB loan into a 60-40 loan (60% fixed, 40% variable) and create an offset account for the variable part;
    • increase my loan limit to 80% LVR and put the extra money into the offset, previously I only applied for a 70% LVR because I have some deposit.
    The banker seems very reluctant to change my loan application, and at one point even said that I do not respect her work by changing my mind so late into the process.

To be honest I was a bit taken aback by her direct manner, but I can't really fault her. Before the loan application she did ask me whether I wanted a split loan and I had said no, I was also quite affirmative when I said I only needed 70% LVR. I only decided to change my loan structure after much browsing on this forum.

So how should I approach this? I'm thinking to change to a different NAB personal banker or even to a different lender to see if they are willing to split the loan for me, but at the same time I'm concerned that since my NAB banker already applied for a First Home Owner Grant for me, if I change to a different lender it will only get too confusing.

To the moderators, please feel free to move this post to an appropriate sub-forum, I'm new so I might have posted at the wrong place.

Cheers
    Ian

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi Ian,

Has the loan been approved yet? When's settlement?

Depending when settlement is will determine if it's too late or not :)

3. IanZ

IanZ New Member

Hi Jess

The loan has been "conditionally approved". Settlement will be in late May (fingers crossed).

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You just instruct your banker how you want the loan set up. Don't worry what they think - if she complains just state that you refuse to pay more tax for the next 30 years just because it inconveniences you!

Ethan Timor likes this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You've got heaps of time to change it then - if your girl won't do it, find someone who will.

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hi Ian

Glad to hear my post helped :)

The NAB banker just doesn't want to do extra work - it's that simple. It's a poor attitude.

So either 1) request it be redone or 2) take your business elsewhere.

ING still have sharp rates on IO repayments for owner occupied properties - especially at 80% LVR

Cheers

Jamie

neK likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hi Ian

Dare I ask the question if the banker even covered the important question of..............

What will you be doing with the property in the middle to long term sir ?

if you told them you will keep it as a PPOR and never make it an IP, then she has a point, but should still comply with your requests without too much whining.

if she didnt ask that question in the first place............ id suggest she has very very little reason for making any noise............ my mentees and employees would be asked to "show cause" because such an ommission is close to a breach of duty of care.

ta
    rolf

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You should be able to change before you move to formal approval, I would think.

9. IanZ

IanZ New Member

Thanks for all the responses, guys, I can see why this forum is so great and full of information. You're absolutely right @Terry_w, as much as I want to maintain a good relationship with my bank, I won't sacrifice decades of deductible tax just to convenience her (hopefully negative gearing will stay amidst of all the political shufflings).

I've decided to give ING Direct and State Custodians a call tomorrow to see if I can get IO loan with offset account, both seem to be offering good rates at the moment. If anyone has had prior dealings with either lenders, please feel free to share your experience.

p.s: will definitely get a broker next time. The more time I spend reading on this forum, the more I realise how little I know of the property game. So many pitfalls for a first home buyer.

Cheers
    Ian

10. dabbler

Keep in mind, if you fix the offset will become useless or non existent.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

No need to wait for 'next time' to use a broker - you could probably get a broker this time if you want to use one.

12. dabbler

PS I see no prob with fixing the lot, it all depends on your income.

You could go elsewhere, but am thinking you should be able to change to the way you want as long as the val stacks up for the LVR.

My guess is to get that rate your fixing for less than 3 years anyway ? It is a pretty good rate, after that period you can vary etc anyway.

As above, I would speak to the brokers here, they will know what you can do.

13. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Getting the loan changed when it's at the conditional approval stage is incredibly simple and quick (at least it is with the NAB). It's the sort of amendment we'd have completed before the phone conversation ended.

@IanZ if your settlement is at the end of May and you're finding value in Jamie's posts, you'll be far better off to engage him directly and get direct and customised advice. It's tight, but there is still time. It's pretty clear the bank isn't going to do this for you.

Eric Wu and dabbler like this.
  14. dabbler

Can I ask, if you went to a bank direct & got to the conditional stage, can you then go and move to a broker at that point ? Ignoring the income technicalities ?

15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Some lenders will want you to withdraw the previous loan application, often in writing.

16. Rolf Latham

FWIW here is another useful example of awareness...............

Comparing NAB to SC is not a reasonable comparison, certainly not in your scenario.

SC uses securitised funds to get its funding out ............... thats all good and well.

Until you realise that their offset isnt actually a BANK account because they arent a bank.

Its a separate redraw account.......... and redraw is then up to the disgression of the funder.

Im all good with that where the loan is fully drawn and there is a few bucks in the offset.

Where it may become an issue for some people is that your money becomes their money.

With a NAB offset, if the NAB goes down the tube, the OZ gov will guarantee the offset to 250 k.............FWIW

ta
    rolf

Ethan Timor and Jess Peletier like this.
  17. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Ian, find another bank.

After all, all these guys do is rent money.

TV.

Stoffo likes this.
  18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Get Jamie to find a better lender. Thats what he does !!

19. dabbler

I call that doing a Liberty.... :) Do they also advertise it as offset ?

Who else does this quasi offset that should be called a re draw facility ?

20. Rolf Latham

nah

They arent advertising a bank guaranteed offset account :)

the diff between redraw and "offset" in this instance ....................

a discrete account linked to the loan, rather than access to the loan itself

for ATO purposes, generally not an issue (get specific advice) .

for Oz gov guarantee purposes........... nah, if the lender aint a deposit taking institution, then there is no gov guarantee.

There are potentially some cross overs here like U bank.................... but they dont have an offset anyway, anyhow below is an extract of the redraw rules...............cough.

Loans aint loans, and as much as marketers want to make a carrot and an orange the same "thing" because they are the same colour............ they are not the same.

I find the true challenge is "most" people assume the above - same colour same thing, and dont ever read the fine print, we are all human,it wont happen to me, which is why more than 50% of families are way underinsured.

ta

rolf

Redrawing of early Payments
    Availability
    You may from time to time request a redraw under a Facility on the following conditions:
    ––
    You have prepaid amounts under the Facility in excess of your scheduled Payments,
    ––
    the redraw amount requested by You is not more than your Available Credit Balance,
    ––
    there has been no adverse change in your financial situation or to your ability to repay the Facility without hardship,
    ––
    the Security and the Security Property are in order,
    ––
    You request the redraw in accordance with these Terms and Conditions,
    ––
    at the time that You request the redraw there is no current Event of Default,
    ––
    no information has come to the attention of Advantedge and no event has occurred which, in either case in Advantedge’s reasonable opinion, would render the providing of the Facility prejudicial to our interest, and
    ––
    Advantedge, in its discretion, exercised reasonably, consents to the redraw request.
    Requirements for redraw
    When a redraw is requested during the term of the Facility, You must observe the following conditions:
    ––
    You must request a redraw in such form as We reasonably require,
    ––
    You must make your request to UBank at least two Busi16—
    ness Days before the date that the redraw is required, or via My UHomeLoan
    ––
    notice by You pursuant to this clause must be in writing, or via My UHomeLoan or in a method acceptable to the Lender.
    Procedure for redraw
    When a redraw is made, We will credit the amount of the redraw to the account for which We hold your current Direct Debit Request. We will credit the account by use of a direct credit system nominated by Us from time to time.

ta
    rolf

ta
    rolf

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia