Julian Assange: the truth is out there

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Zenith Chaos, 12th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

wylie likes this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Note my emphasis.

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The computers hacked were in the US ... but you might argue that Assaunge didn't to the physical "hacking" but merely instruction Manning how to do so ... how about these scenario's if you're claiming the person has to physically be in the country where the crime was committed ...

First possibility ... Joe has $1mil in his bank account. Lizzie is in NZ but knows Joe's bank account login details. Lizzie removed $1mil from Joe's account to hers with the description "transfer to Lizzie" - very clear paper trail - but Lizzie cannot be pursued and prosecuted because Lizzie wasn't in Australia when the crime was committed and Joe simply has to wave goodbye to his mil

Second possibility ... Joe has $1mil in his bank account. Lizzie lives in NZ but knows Joe's bank account login details. Lizzie gives Geoff to login details and instructs Geoff to transfer the money from Joe's account to Lizzie's account (and he can keep a skim off the top) with the description "transfer to Lizzie". Geoff is caught and goes to jail. Lizzie cannot be prosecuted because she wasn't in Australia when the crime was committed and Joe simply has to wave goodbye to his mil

The reality is that Joe would contact the police and get lawyered up to move heaven and earth to get his $mil back. An extradition notice would be issued to arrest Lizzie in NZ and have her bought to Australia to face the theft charges

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    KateSydney likes this.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Maybe that is what would happen, but I can't think (off hand) of a crime committed remotely where extradition would be reasonable (from my perspective). If what they did was a crime where they are located then let the local judicial process deal with it.

Why should someone be held to account by foreign laws?

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's a new world of cyber crime and the world has to change with it.

Okay - I'll move to the Cayman Islands before pinching your money ... does that mean I get off scot free with your $mil because it's not illegal to money launder in the Cayman's?

Phantom and KateSydney like this.
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Trump issues a law that anyone found criticising POTUS receives jail time. He finds your posts on Property Chat, does that mean you should be extradited to the US because it's illegal to criticise Trump?

7. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Yes, if you are a large multinational company, that is exactly what you do...

8. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Probably...there is all sorts of things the Australian government agreed to under anti terrorism and "free trade" laws with the US under very fine print.. that can be construed more broadly to get whatever you need.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Better hope they've got big jails in the US then as more than 30% of US citizens would be found guilty.

Yes, if Australia and the US have a reciprocal extradition treaty reflecting the charges ... but that was a pie-in-the-sky example ... the stealing from your bank account is more reflective of what occurred with Assange (although my stealing doesn't put he lives of numerous secret service agents in direct jeopardy)

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Of course it was, just like your post conflating theft and money laundering which are two completely different things.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Okay - take out the money laundering part (couldn't think of the right word at the time) ... I stole your money when based in Ecuador, which doesn't have reciprocal extradition so the law couldn't touch me ... but I went for a holiday in NZ which does have an agreement with Australia ... wouldn't your lawyers grab me when in NZ even tho the crime took place in cyber space?

But regardless of this going in circles ... Assange broke the law in the USA ... the USA and UK have a reciprocal arrest and deportation agreement.

End of story

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Why does the USA get away with murder?

Terry_w likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and the Saudi's

Terry_w likes this.
  14. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

and israel...and turkey....etc

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Sometimes you need people who are willing to go out on a limb and tell the truth, it outweighs this leftist PC correct thinking where that should never be done, if it helps educate with facts and stops innocent deaths, well, that will become noble one day.....

I totally agree with always keeping all/any government too account, and we have seen time an again the result of people a pussyfoot and ignoring reality.

But, who is up to the real issues of the day, this may be the better question as we breed legions of softies and non questioners.

datto likes this.
  16. dabbler

And anyone else who can get away with it for political or money reasons in this century of knowledge.

datto likes this.
  17. dabbler

Cause they can, like every other nations Govt when it suits them.

datto likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I dont think propertychat would tickle his fancy

I expect golf forums may work:p

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on A and Pamela Anderson??

datto likes this.
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

End of story... You know this is a discussion forum right? Full stop, no returns.

I am not questioning that is what could happen. I am saying that in my opinion it shouldn't happen. If you have a different opinion, that's fine. I'd guarantee your opinion would change if it was based around a situation you saw as unfair.

Phar Lap and Joynz like this.