Journalists writing about investments - rant

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by hozi, 22nd Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hozi

hozi Well-Known Member

Thoughts on people who write about their real estate journey and not providing full details
    There are people who sometimes believe what is written and not doing DD. Some of these people are just starting out on their investment journey and these articles are no good for them

Case in point
    Why I own an investment property but rent my home

I know SMH is not a real news tabloid but my older friends do read it.

rant over

2. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

These types of articles also encourage FOMO, and help make crazy prices the new norm.

3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

If someone is basing their RE decisions on popular media stories, they deserve the ******** they are fed.

Most media stories are either paid placements or click baits. Media journalists working in the property sector are of poorest quality and more on the fiction writing side than investigative journalism.

FT and AFR are the only sources I would consider reliable.

alexm, bob shovel and Perthguy like this.
  4. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this is a "new" breed of people, and the term "rentvesting" is a little silly. They're just describing investing. It's not essential to be a homeowner while investing.

5. radson

radson Well-Known Member

What exactly was wrong with the article?

Gypsyblood and Gingin like this.
  6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

What's really ridiculous is that half the articles tell people how unaffordable housing is, then the other half talk about the fabulous $2M+ properties that are going to auction this weekend. They really wouldn't have to look to far to show people where the affordable properties are.

Ted Varrick, Phineas, gman65 and 2 others like this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If you think about it, pushing both barrows may maximise revenue via housing turnover for those who benefit, I am cynical enough to believe many business and even govt may not be too concerned about turnover as it generates more funds.

8. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I believe Domain is the only division of Fairfax that is worth anything..so they have to push the "realestate is great" line. However they also realise that anti-investor/affordability sentiment is high amongst their readership so they also push this. Both sides represent their readership so they can sensationalise both quite happily..

9. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

personally love reading articles about property investing and property markets from the cities which are either flat or in the doldrums - its all doom and gloom and you can just smell the fear and blood in the air

despite being invested, i tend to get quite peeved when a city im invested in moves up - guess its cos still relatively young so want asset values as depressed as possible given the longer timeframe!

10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Does this mean the value of the company at $2.8b is cheap or expensive, and do you own any FXJ stock?

Gladys likes this.
  11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

@Gladys , is that really you?

Are you going to make all Fairfax publications free on all NSW buses, trains and ferry transport?

And imagine how the stamp duty income would be supported if you were able to "support" the Sydney property prices though a prudent govt investment in Domain?

Gladys likes this.