Jordan Springs vs Blacktown.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by pwnitat0r, 10th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

Land in Jordan Springs is selling for around $1,200/sqm. E.g. Lot 1094, 44 Armoury Road, Jordan Springs, NSW 2747 - Property Details

It's so far from the CBD, it's about a 1.5 hour commute. About 35minutes to Parramatta.

Why would someone buy out there over somewhere like Blacktown? Blacktown is about 40-45mins from the CBD and 20mins from Parramatta.

E.g. 563sqm of land with a house on it which works out at $1,200/sqm - 65 Robyn Street, Blacktown, NSW 2148 - Property Details

Jordan Springs is expensive and Blacktown provides some value? They are both expensive?

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

People like NEW and shiny objects

Tony Fleming and pwnitat0r like this.
  3. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

The houses being built in Jordan Springs are typically narrow and long, stretching the whole piece of land. Backyard is smaller than what a typical townhouse has.

The problem with the long and narrow houses is the are quite dark in the middle and suspectible to mould I assume. Then in 5 years time they won't have a backyard for their kid to play in.

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Shock, horror, not everyone works in the cbd.

pwnitat0r and splatters like this.
  5. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I personally prefer blacktown but I suspect there are two reasons for people preferring Jordan Spring.

Firstly and more importantly its north of Penrith which has been one of the best performing suburbs in the country.

Secondly land in Jordan Spring is being released by, I think, Lendlease which gives a degree of control over how much land becomes available in what period of time. They also do a lot of marketing around it and there is some hype.

I actually considered buying in Jordan spring and I would have done so except the party that releases land there imposes some restrictions on what can be built on it which is not very attractive to me.

pwnitat0r likes this.
  6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

One of my work colleagues was house hunting last year and was contemplating buying a new a house in Schofields.

We had a chat about the same points mentioned above, its cheaper to buy an older house in Blacktown, there are more trains, shorter commute, more land for future expansion.

He agreed with all the points, in the end he went for an Off the Plan house in Schofields - double storey 4 bedder on 280sqm with a backyard of 6m deep x 8m wide (which cost $700k).

His reasons were:
    1. Its new
    2. Its double storey
    3. Its new
    4. Its new
    5. Its a closer walk to the station
    6. Its new
    7. Its new
    8. it gave him time to save for a larger deposit.

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The people I've met in person from PC have all been willing to get their hands dirty to renovate.
    But you would be surprised how unappealing this is for alot of other people.

People think painting is easy... then you make them do the prep work scraping / sanding / patching and they quit/complain about how hard it is.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Did they forget to mention that it's new?

neK likes this.
  9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

He also bought into the "growth" its had since he paid the deposit.....

Even though I had explained it to him (before he bought it) that developers release in stages with each staging costing more than the previous stage to create the false impression that there is growth.

samiam likes this.
  10. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Agreed

And your neighborhood is pretty. All houses clean and new . Neighbors of similar socio-economic status.

11. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

100% accurate.

It is a nice place and location wise will do well with the Western Sydney infrastructure plans.

It does however have quite a lot of issues with petty crime and vandalism. A lot of the teenagers from Cranebrook(crimbrook) venture over and steal belongings, smash windows and scratch cars.

I'd prefer to live in Jordan Springs but invest in Blacktown. With Jordan Springs east slowly getting land released you are going to have a lot of stock to compete against short term whilst Blacktown doesn't have any more land to spare and is closer to the CBD.