John McCain dead

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 26th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

wylie, meme plecko, gman65 and 3 others like this.
  2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Would have made a great President.

radson and Lizzie like this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

One of the few Republicans I respected a great deal.

wylie, radson, geoffw and 2 others like this.
  4. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I never knew this...

The North Vietnamese offered to release him in 1968 as a gesture of good will after McCain’s father was named commander of U.S. forces in the Pacific. But McCain refused on the grounds that the military code of conduct stated that prisoners of war should be released in order of their capture and should not “accept parole or amnesty.”

When McCain refused to go, the guards punished him. “For the next four days, I was beaten every two to three hours by different guards,” he wrote in a 1973 account of his experience. “My left arm was broken again and my ribs were cracked.

John McCain, Arizona Senator, Dies at 81 - The Atlantic

wategos likes this.
  5. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Apparently he could not lift his arms past his shoulders after that due to the torture also. He was a great war hero. Trump said something utterly stupid at one point "I would prefer my war heroes were not captured". :rolleyes:

That was quick after the announcement of no treatment.

Does make me wonder though the average age of those becoming US President these days. If he had become elected in 2008 he would have died only a few years later. And I think age has got to Donald Trump's mental state as well.

6. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Apparently his early flying career was quite controversial but there is no questioning his bravery or his patriotism.
    He was also prepared to stand by his convictions and veto the Republicans’ attempt to abolish Obamacare.
    He and Obama had a great mutual respect, he requested that George W Bush and Obama deliver eulogies at his funeral.

Lizzie likes this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

He also made it clear that he did not want Trump to attend his funeral and that Mike Pence attend instead.

For a five time draft dodger (bone spurs anyone?) to say what he said about a war hero was truly disgusting.

Air_Bender, Lizzie, Ambit and 2 others like this.
  8. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Respect for John McCain. What happened to the Republican party? Hero to Zero in 8 years. Hopefully they wake up to themselves, it's not just their own country they are damaging.

Lizzie and Ambit like this.
  9. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

I love the media, they called him a white supremacist and mentally unfit for office, now he is a bipartisan hero because he opposed trump

Handyandy and MikeyBallarat like this.
  10. radson

radson Well-Known Member

because 'the media' is one united homogenous voice?

11. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

The pettiness of Trump - stopped release.of white house statement praising McCain

Trump rejected plans for a White House statement praising McCain

The president did not make a cursory public show of respect Sunday for McCain, against whom he had continued to indulge a personal grievance even as it was apparent the Arizona Republican was losing his battle with brain cancer. The president spent much of the day golfing and attacking his usual enemies on Twitter.

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Also his banal tweet of 'thoughts and prayers' was displayed with an image of Trump

13. turk

turk Well-Known Member

A sad day for the USA.

And unfortunately another thread turned into an anti Trump thread.

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Not exactly - I have been monitoring the thread and all posts have been on topic - even the ones which mention Trump

Colin Rice likes this.
  15. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Does that include posts that make no mention of McCain or his death?

16. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

He had a good innings and seemed like a decent human, we need more politicians of his ilk, RIP.

radson likes this.
  17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I think it's inevitable that Trump is mentioned, as McCain's last year's were somewhat defined by their relationship together.

I hadn't realised that during the presidential campaign against Obama, McCain tried hard to stop his comments against Obama becoming personal, even in ads, up until a few days before the election, when his back was against the wall.

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For me, and I'm sure for many others, it is thanks to Trump that I know anything at all about John McCain and what he went through. His comment about "liking war heroes who weren't captured" and the flurry of criticism for that statement was the first I knew anything about McCain.

I still don't know too much about McCain but he seemed a gentle man and a gentleman. RIP.

19. radson

radson Well-Known Member

and also the campaign where we were introduced to the now infamous Sarah Palin.

20. radson

radson Well-Known Member

..and from distant memory, McCain lost the 1999 republican primary to George W after a terribly low smear campaign orchestrated by Karl Rove against his adopted daughter.

just looked it up

Dirty Tricks, South Carolina and John McCain

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.