Jobs

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 30th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

That's fine, the RBA will just print money to buy the debt.

spludgey likes this.
  2. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Much of the developed world is heavy in debt and when you compare us to the OECD we aren't doing too badly at all.

Angel, Kriv and The Y-man like this.
  3. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

How's NZ going with their debt?

They would be a decent comparison for us.

4. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

If anyone has been following the markets, gold and silver price spikes are keeping the markets honest and accounting for the increase in debt. This is one of the functions of the gold market.

When gold prices increase sharply, it is sometimes called a "silent crash". This is because gold is real money, and if gold is increasing in price, everything else if falling in price when measured in gold.

What we are seeing by the increase in gold price is an asset price crash in real terms.

When you rack up this much debt, you always have to pay the piper. Ultimately, for this property blog, tangible assets like gold, but also like real estate, serve as a hedge against monetary recklessness.

wilso8948 and MTR like this.
  5. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Gold is flying!

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So is AUD ? Dont get it

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Because of this:

The Y-man

wilso8948 likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

9. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Does anyone have any information on what jobs are being lost? My experience from the little bubble I live in is that everyone seems to be going on business as usual. I get that there's been a big hit, but the worst recession since WW2? Where's it coming from?

10. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Well think of all the businesses and jobs that have significantly reduced operation:
    Airlines
    Pub/Bar workers
    Hotel/Motel workers
    Restaurant/cafe workers
    Customer service in retail
    Receptionists
    Recreational activity operators (diving, air balloon, domestic sport comps, gyms, trainers, etc)
    Art and entertainment (galleries, musicians, film/tv production, theatres, artists, entertainers)
    University staff cuts due to drop in international students

Foxdan and albanga like this.
  11. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

You will get loads of responses no doubt about the hard hit industries. But remember in a recession that starts a snowball effect as less money is swirling the economy. What may seem like a non related hard hit industry does in fact take a hit because of this.

12. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Anecdotal and a small sample but in my little bubble of 3 units and 6 neighbours all unrelated and all in completely unrelated industries, 2 out the 6 are relatively unaffected. The others are on Jobkeeper or Jobseeker so I am seeing at first hand, the effects of the crisis.

Zimplestiltskin likes this.
  13. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

More debt = more fiat currency. Those goods/property that cannot readily increase supply to meet any extra demand will experience inflation.

AUD only appears to be only doing well against the usd. So looks to be more of a usd matter. Their 10 yr bond yield also looks close to falling out the bottom.

It is in the interest of the rich and powerful to keep this monetary system and party going. Lets see what they can conjure up now. I find it strange that FED chairman powell had to go onto 60minutes to sell his money printing. I think he knows that if people/institutions altogether decide to stop buying then no matter how much more money you print, the market can literally go down to zero.. so dont worry keep buying we've got your back :p

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

For me, the first hand ones I saw at the start (and obviously ongoing for Melb) were for my students - a lot of them in cafe and restaurants.

Some of out tenants are hit - also in the hospitality industry.

The other is in my workplace - Universities.

The Y-man

15. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

It's very hard to envision a V shaped recovery for the US economy given the long-running struggle to stimulate demand and inflation into it since the GFC. While US employment statistics have looked good during much of that time so much job creation has been in low pay + skill service sector jobs, not in the high skilled productivity enhancing areas it needs.

Last edited: 24th Jul, 2020
  16. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Not only the USD as I can confirm to my financial detriment that the AUD has strengthened quite a bit over the last 3 months against the GBP.

17. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Hmmm... perhaps you live in a different bubble to me. The tertiary sector of the economy (ie. the service sector) represents ~70% of Australian GDP which you can verify at DFAT website. The importance of services trade to Australia | DFAT

Now, since international & some state/territory borders have been closed, coupled with the various regional isolation requirements, the tertiary sector has been operating with the handbrake on for nearly 6 months now. This has caused significant downturn in the subsequent businesses which has been evidenced by dramatic job cuts/losses by even some of the very big companies, to the point where some have had to significantly curtail operations &/or enter administration. The worst of the affects are not yet fully realised as many businesses have been burning cash reserves, forcing staff to use leave (including unpaid) & collecting government subsidies to avoid demise.... nearly 6 months in now and the outlook is still bleak, let alone the impacts already realised.

I really can’t see from my little bubble how this is business as usual...

Foxdan, TAJ, The Y-man and 1 other person like this.
  18. Waterboy

Not really.

19. Waterboy

Where's the *palmface* emoji? :confused::eek::rolleyes:

MTR likes this.
  20. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It was a genuine question. I know there are a great people struggling (the stats dont lie), but out of my acquaintances, friends, family, clients and tenants, I'm probably aware of 4-5 people (1%?) who have been affected, and all of them are optimistic about pushing through.

We're also in the best property (sales and rentals) market I've seen locally for years, which is... weird, but I'm not complaining.

Property Baron likes this.