Jobs

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 30th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Which viruses, when and have they been on a global scale as this?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

There have been plenty of viruses but I understand none with the combination of:
    • High level of transmission (the sucker seems to stay alive longer on surfaces and in the air than some others - i.e. so don't even need to touch an infected person - just have to be near them for long enough or touch an infected surface up to four hours later)
    • Available paths (vectors) of transmission due to a very mobile society (i.e. planes, cars, mass transportation) - which has quickly enabled it to be global
    • Concentrated areas of population to spread through (shopping centres, mass transit, restaurants, places of worship, places of recreation and entertainment)
    • Deadlier than the flu but less deadly than others (which means carriers don't die relatively quickly as in ebola and can pass it on to many others)
    • Having an asymptomatic carrier ("super-spreader") option available
    It just makes it a real "perfect storm" type thing.

The Y-man

Propagate and twisted strategies like this.
  3. Melbourne_guy

I understand that but some people don't seem to grasp this is something new and because something wasn't done previously, doesn't mean avoid doing it in future. :D

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Back to jobs....
    corona overload:confused:

My daughter mentioned Apparently cyber security ......huge demand...... jobs...... jobs

5. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

There are jobs out there thats for sure.
    I think jobkeeper and seeker will be stopping a lot of people from applying for a new job at the moment.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not sure about plenty Of jobs?? Employment is rising

I think you have a point about the jobseeker payment??

We are talking those getting paid more Money on these benefits, therefore taking advantage of this

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2020
    Lions4Eva and Property Baron like this.
  7. Property Baron

They mucked up alright. Literally thousands of 1 shift a weekers now on $1500 a fortnight.
    Do we think these guys are going to look for a new job :rolleyes:
    Well done Scomo...

gman65 likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Some business’ finding it difficult to fill vacant positions due to this stuff up.... oh dear

Hopefully fix this in next round of JS

9. Property Baron

I think hopefully more in next round of JK these are jobkeeper payments where 1 shift a weekers are getting $1500 a fortnight.
    They should be at best on Jobseeker and made look for work in order to get it.

MTR likes this.
  10. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Your friend can’t apply for jobkeeper, only his employer can. Jobkeeper is a business support for his employer, not an entitlement for an employee. If his workplace is able to access jobkeeper, they would already have it. His hours being dropped to 50% doesn’t change whether his employer is eligible.

11. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Cyber security, machine learning, even broader in IT in general (if attached to the right industry).

Anything medical, or defence related is going to do fine in the next decade. Pivot if you want a job, but requires dedication and maybe 12-24 months retraining.

I know a commercial pilot that got laid off a couple of months ago. In the last few weeks getting new tickets for a heap of things. Sure a bit of an ego deflation, but I'm sure they will adapt and find something soon. It's all in the attitude.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

13. Vanillascent

Vanillascent Well-Known Member

I have had 6 interviews in less than 4 weeks and I’ve never been to so many that say they want to hire me but they don’t have positions available and to “keep in contact”. SMH. I mean I’m not complaining I’m getting interviews at a time like this and there is clearly business uncertainty but why interview people if you don’t intend to hire?

Also, on a side note, I can’t reconcile the recent unemployment figures with what I’ve seen amongst my networks. Would be interesting to see stats on underutilization in the current climate.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

With regards to stats? Understated ???

wish you all the best

My daughter had a second interview with same company, she said its very tough, so many people applying for same job

15. Vanillascent

Yeah I just think it would be higher. Thanks :) I wanted a change of scenery from where I was working prior so it was a good push haha.

It is a really tough market. Fingers crossed for your daughter!

MTR likes this.
  16. Melbourne_guy

That must be so dispiriting and morally wrong on the part of the companies' involved to interview without having positions available in the foreseeable future. Good luck with the hunt.

Vanillascent likes this.
  17. Property Baron

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2020
    MTR and Vanillascent like this.
  18. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Can I ask how you obtained these interviews? Did you apply for advertised positions or more cold calling/self registration from recruitment companies?

19. Vanillascent

I’ve had 4 from advertised jobs (Seek, LinkedIn, Facebook posts), 1 from an expression of interest and 1 through word of mouth. Recruiters are contacting me daily about tax consulting/accounting roles but I am looking to career change into the legal profession so haven’t entertained any recruiter communications. I could probably have taken a role before now if I wasn’t being fussy and was happy to stay in accounting. I think jobs are very much industry specific right now.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member