Jobs

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 30th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

SeafordSunshine, gman65 and Edd like this.
  2. Edd

Edd Active Member

MTR likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

4. The Y-man

5. The Y-man

6. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

7. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

It would be very hard for the owner of this business to entice people to get off the lounge when they are receiving $1100 a fortnight.
    I never understood why their payment was doubled when they were out of work to begin with.
    An increase to the Jobseeker amount may have been warranted; but by doubling it they simply removed any incentive for the unemployed to seriously chase work.:confused:

Tyla and C-mac like this.
  8. Vanillascent

Vanillascent Well-Known Member

I can’t complain - I just picked up one of those jobs. Not a bad gig that whole work/life balance thing they promote haha. Never had that before.

ttn and MTR like this.
  9. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I just accepted a new role after 14 years with my current employer. Feels crazy to be leaving job security in the midst of a pandemic/recession but when you get offered at an incredible opportunity you need to cease it.

Didn’t hurt when they said you can choose to live and work wherever you like.

10. The Y-man

Cease the old job? :D:D:D

The Y-man

kmrr and albanga like this.
  11. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

haha safe to say grammar and spelling isn’t a requirement of the new role.....wait actually it might be

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Haha. Congrats @albanga

13. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

I hope you are doing well in that gig economy :D as the pay is not too bad either ;) like it used to

14. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

The jobs losses are still coming. They will occur when jobkeeper drops off completely.
    Businesses that are down less than 30% and no longer have jobkeeper will lay off a % of their staff to make ends meet.
    There are many employees who are “employed” on 750 a week, next month it’s 600 and from January it’s 500. Then it’s zero.

This is the eye of the storm.

If are an employee and your employers company gets jobkeeper. Don’t kid yourself - there’s a good chance you will be made redundant in the coming months.

15. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

I think the plan is that these businesses won't be down 30% by the end of jobkeeper because most restriction will be lifted by then (hopefully)
    Also there are many businesses getting jobkeeper and doing quiet well so will easily keep there staff.
    However there will be job losses especially in the sectors that are hit hard i.e Aviation, tourism

16. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Good points but it may be priced in.

A high proportion of the jobless claims are concentated to certain areas. You can probably guess where. The prices in these areas are already relatively cheap even compared to regionals so it is hard to see how they can fall further.

Conversely the traditional "white collar" areas are seeing very low claims coupled with elevated savings rates.

Add to that a substantial decrease in interest rates since the start of the year.

Hard be full bore bearish with those stats :(

17. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I picked Grapes and Currants etc etc during my holidays.
    I learnt a lot and met some very hard working people, went back to Uni with a wadge ( is that a word) of cash. Happy days!

The Y-man likes this.
  18. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    https://www.smh.com.au/business/ban...ce-for-sweeping-job-cuts-20200930-p560pf.html

"AMP confirmed there will be redundancies in its investment and banking divisions – AMP Capital and AMP Australia – to avoid duplicate roles across human resources and legal services. An AMP spokesman said it had made changes to "centralise some business services".

AMP has taken the knife to its financial planning network, and chief executive Francesco De Ferrari said this segment of the business could shrink by about 30 per cent. AMP's share price has continued to fall in September and Mr De Ferrari has previously stated the company had to make "tough decisions" to improve the value of the company".

Meanwhile Flight Centre is set to close another 90 stores. If it weren't for JobKeeper this recession would have many more unemployment casualties.