Job Keeper and Tax Cuts

Discussion in 'Business Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by MTR, 8th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the ins and outs, just the story we've been told.

It may be something to do just with timing, the magnitude of the expansion and of the subsequent fall.

2. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Sounds like an honest guy - this would have a lot to do with it I suspect. Was the business closed at all?

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't closed. But one part of the business - perhaps one third of the work - just disappeared, and is only now just starting to come back.

4. Property Baron

Just disappeared - unusual for sure so I can't comment further - only that jobkeeper would be available if he chose to manipulate the numbers like most,

5. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I know of at least two part time workers who became eligible for what amounted to a payrise, only the employer then required them to pick up more hours for what amounted to the same take home pay.

It's not perfect, but it's doing what it was intended to do.

Those of us who dont care much about the 'rorting' appreciate that the pros far outweigh the flaws and also recognize the the scheme as stimulus not welfare, with the latter obviously warranting a more directed approach than the former.

Comes back to the question of what specific policy measures would you have put in place then to ensure not one cent was misdirected?

6. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

How so?

I mean, infrastructure spending would be great but this was emergency stimulus so spending months/years building new roads etc is not an option as the money has to be out circulating in a matter of weeks.

7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Possibly an issue with the structure of the business. We had complications with the relationship of various wholly owned subsidiaries and thier parent companies.

8. Property Baron

Do you remember June 30 - not that long ago. Not sure if you are a business but if not did you get any stimulus benefits in your tax return.

9. Property Baron

Funny it's starting now between federal and state governments over who fits the bill for all this spending - seems the federal is realizing the wastage can't go on forever.

At the end of the day though it is ultimately the tax payer who fits the bill and he will notice in the coming years. Heard a rumor that a raise in the GST could be on the cards, maybe a way to get the wastage back...

Francesco likes this.
  10. Property Baron

Also the not one cent thing is a bit over the top, especially when I'm talking businesses that are profiting by the tune of 20k - 30k a month just in jobkeeper payments. Takes the normal Joe blow a long time to save that type of money. If only a few cents were wasted I don't think many would mind at all.

Last edited: 8th Sep, 2020
    Francesco likes this.
  11. Property Baron

This could also be a business that I'm talking about. Has staff on jobkeeper because of loss revenue but somehow can offer the staff overtime. Must have plenty work ay.

12. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

The case I know is just a couple or part time admin types.
    The gripe as far as the employees are concerned is that they would be getting $1500 a fortnight regardless, only now the employer is saying hey you may aswell come in for the sake of it. There is no overtime or increased work.
    Conversely there are people like me getting the $1500 and I havnt been in for about six months now. I guess they understandably feel frustrated about that.

13. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Cents is a little tongue in cheek yes, but 50k here and there in the economy the size of ours is what a few cents are to you and I.

Adding up the inefficencies in the ordinary health and welfare systems (biggest expenditure areas that been tuned over decades) just makes the JK 'rorting' so insignificant it's not worth worrying about.

14. Property Baron

Why would he ask them to go into work if there was no work? for the sake of it? how irresponsible could they be, fairdinkum:rolleyes:

15. Property Baron

50k here and there - gross understatement in my opinion.

I know 3 builders really well. 2 huge companys and 1 smaller builder. All 3 that's 100% rorting jobkeeper and are proud to admit it.
    Not insignificant in my view. Repeat 100%

16. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

That's thier argument too. I guess it's a case of 'may as well have someone to answer the phone or perform some menial task that wouldnt be worth paying them for if it came off thier own bottom line'.

I was initially surprised part timers were included, but I suspect it was the realization that alot of part timers have more than one job and therefore stood to loose thier equivalent of a fulltime job.

17. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

50 million, 150 million then. The numbers are still insignificant in the big scheme of it all, A lot of which comes back through income tax and GST etc anyway.

My company has around 15,000 of us on JK so as much as you know three companies 'rorting' the system it's probably insignificant in the big scheme.

Side note I hope GST does increase if it makes room for income tax cuts. Tax the consumption side and not the production side.

Last edited: 8th Sep, 2020
    Francesco and craigc like this.
  18. Property Baron

Isn't the business closed though. If it is open than they would need to be in there to run it.

19. Property Baron

20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why keep saying this, but not reporting it if it really is rorting?

My brother's business is on job keeper, but he had to pay his staff for about three months before he was reimbursed. And he had to prove by showing his books that his business was 30%(?) lower than the previous month, or that month the previous year (can't recall).

craigc, Propagate and MB18 like this.