Job Keeper and Tax Cuts

Discussion in 'Business Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by MTR, 8th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

With respect to AH Beard I will call BS on this story. Here is what the CFMEU union newpaper said:

AH Beard sites in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria cut hours to a 4-day week for 2 weeks in April. Workers stood together and leveraged their power and with the support of the Union worked hard to get the company to agree to go back to full hours in May. A big welcome to new AH Beard members who joined to help take up the fight. In unity there is strength and by staying strong, workers will be ready to fight any unfair practice the company tries to implement in the future.
    • The union and company both acknowledge reduced hours at the start of the lockdown crisis for a few weeks
    • The company appears to have resumed trading after a period of difficulty and other media indicates this (eg CEO)
    • The union fought the company to reinstate full hours likely creating a financial issue to be made worse.
    What evidence is there that the company then refused to receive jobkeeper for its 430 staff and repaid what had been received DESPITE being evidently impacted by the virus and the unions actions ? None I can find. They do appear to have responded well with special medical orders and consumer retail demand rising.

And for a business with 430 staff and a jobkeeper rule that says "all in" a $1m jobkeeper receipt covers all its staff for under 2 weeks.

I wonder what their Melbourne staff would have thought about then being INELIGIBLE to resume Jobkeeper and being unpaid for the past few months ?

Sounds like a urban myth. Perhaps they registered without meeting the tests ? Or it just never occurred ?

2. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Hardly a rant nor is the term mutli-national used incorrectly by the poster who introduced it...I did observe that budget eligibility is 'set to allow firms with turnover of up to $5 billion'. At that price point, there will be many multinationals who are eligible, particularly if it is based on Australian turnover only. $5 billion is pretty damned large. I'm going to put it out there and say, very few companies will be excluded once their accountancy departments have set to work and appropriately subdivided the organisation in order to qualify.

Property Baron likes this.
  3. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

It’s not based just on Australian turnover only. Aggregated group turnover.
    ‘Subdivision’ of the organisation by ‘accountancy’ departments doesn’t work / apply.

Last edited: 9th Oct, 2020
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Bump

We know business who qualify should receive job keeper, and am totally in favour of this but then you get a bad egg/s……rorting

Australian Golf Club, Sydney, Rosebery… oldest golf club in the country

Australian Golf Club boosts profits, pockets $1.5m Jobkeeper

. Pocketed 1.5M job keeper, despite significant rise in annual profit and steady revenue

. Increased total remuneration to CEO and course superintendent from $618,000 to $635,000

. Club made a profit of 2.7M profit in 2021, 35% increase over previous year.

Here’s the big one…..To get government funded job keeper -

billion dollar companies needed to show a drop/fall of more the 50% revenue to qualify for payment

Small companies needed to show a drop/fall of 30% revenue to qualify for payment

What went wrong?????

Unlike US, NZ, UK our government did not create a public register for its 90 billion dollar job keeper subsidy, so we got no idea who got what:(

The figures released last week by independent Parliamentary budget office is only accounting for 14% of total amount business’ received

Hard to believe right:mad:

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2021
  5. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

As someone who regularly peruses financials, I see the job keeper payment show up where it most likely wasn't required. However, if you are in a small business and claim it and have done nothing illegal then all power to you as it can be a tough gig hence why few succeed at it, swings and roundabouts.

MTR likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone here a member of the Australian Golf Club

7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

The requirement most were able to meet was for a forecast fall for the qualifying period. So if they were required to close (I have no idea?) then they could have legitimately expected a fall in revenue.

It is possible the overall increase occurred at a different time.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I call it rorting, but you make up your own mind. pay rises too boot

https://mobile.twitter.com/shoebridgemlc/status/1410349625374957570

9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

So both the Australian & Royal Sydney?
    I hope the employees were paid the funds they received ...

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Me too