Travel & Holidays Jetlag.....any tips?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ardi, 28th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I do a lot of flying (monthly) and mostly these are long haul.

As others have said try and get your clock set to your destination on the way to it. I always change my watch to the destination time when boarding my first flight.
    Try and sleep on the plane. Use ear buds, eye covers and a neck pillow. Even better - fly business+ for lie flat seats. Over sleep if you can as even 12hours 'sleep' on a flight isn't good quality sleep.

If you arrive early morning spend as much of the day out doors as possible and push through the day. Don't have a midday nap.
    Then head for bed at night (I aim for 9pm or later) and then rise at 7-8am. Up, breakfast and a walk or swim. Again spent the day outside and don't nap.

Usually I have only a day or two of jet lag doing it this way. If I have a nap on the day I arrive or the second day it completely throws my sleep pattern and I'm hungover for about a week. It's horrible.

Blacky

2. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I am with Blacky. I sleep as much as possible on the plane. On arrival I make sure I go for a long walk. Go to bed at night and get up at 7 or 8 am for breakfast. Go for another walk. In sync in no time. Coming back from the USA there does not appear to be any problem. I get home, get in the car and go shopping. Stay up until normal bedtime. Get up 7am the next day, no jetlag.

3. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Will do! Wasn't the easiest to upload in some of tge areas we were in. Hopefully will get these up in the morning or tomorrow some time.

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Stay hydrated.

Strong coffee morning you arrive (read a study about this helping to shift your body clock).

Alter your sleep pattern towards the destination time zone.

I've never had problems traveling across time zones, not sure if it's the above or history of rotating rosters at work and ability to sleep anywhere.

5. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

This.

Last year I had over 50 flights for business with most to the USA. While I love a beer, I never consume any alcohol on flights (ok there was that one time, oh and that other). Seriously, staying off the alcohol makes a big difference, leave it until you arrive.

I always make sure I stay up late and get a good night sleep. Travelling to the USA east coast make that easy as an early arrival into LAX and then a 6 hour flight east already makes for evening time. As stated earlier, I always get myself into the fresh air and (hopefully) sunshine the following day.

This year almost all of my travel has been to Asia. The comparative bliss of only 8-10 hour flights and being almost in the same timezone as home.

6. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Ahh yeah. I forgot those two. Off the booze and stay hydrated. I take an empty 1L bottle and ask the crew to fill it.
    Saves asking for 20 of there tiny plastic cups.

I also don't eat airline food. But that's another story.

Blacky

wylie likes this.