Travel & Holidays Jetlag.....any tips?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ardi, 28th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Any tips on bringing the body clock back to normal? Or is it just a matter of time?

2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Have 3 kids and then you'll have it permanently; no need to adjust.

larrylarry, Ardi, Tattler and 4 others like this.
  3. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I've flown hundreds of times (literally) and the best thing that worked for me was to try and sleep to the timezone of the destination that I was traveling to. This way when I got off the plane I was already in the 'frame of mind' of my destination.

It's too easy to get distracted by all the entertainment crap they provide in flight, especially in business and first class.

Give it a go.

larrylarry, Ardi and moyjos like this.
  4. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

I do what @alexm does. Before a long haul flight I work out a "sleep schedule".

Working backwards from the time I arrive at my destination. Eg
    Dept Bris 10:50am. Arr LAX 6:55am. Would see my schedule be something like this.
    Board plane (lax time is approx 6:00 pm).
    Settle in for around an hour or so then eat. (Largish meal)
    Read movies etc for the next 3 hours or so then eat again (lighter meal)
    After this meal, start getting ready for bed. (Quiet music,read,herbal tea..)
    Sleep / nap 5-6 hours
    Wake (approx 4:30am LAX time). Get up, wash , dress walk around get into your normal morning routine. Have breakfast.
    Read etc for the next couple of hours until landing.

When you get to your destination .. Do NOT go to bed until "bedtime". If you feel like a nap either set an alarm for a short nap or push through it. Go to bed early-ish that first night and you should wake fine the next day.

I Tend to look for flights that arrive at my destination in the afternoon if at all possible.

alexm, WattleIdo, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  5. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

If you arrive home on a morning flight, sleep no later than midday and then go to bed at normal time that night. Try a Passion flower tea. I was a doubter until I tried it. Relaxes you and your sleep quality will be better.

The key is to have a smaller sleep to last the day if you need it and then go to bed normal time.

Travelbug and Ardi like this.
  6. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Fly business or first class if you can. It makes a huge difference.

Travelbug likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Take your shoes off and walk around on the carpet in bare feet - it worked for John McClane :D

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Cruise holiday. No jet lag. Slowly and gently ease into each new time zone. :)

10. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Would love to give it a go if the funds allow.

11. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Cheers for the replys, let the scattered begin

12. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

You can always fly with frequent flyer points if you don't want to spend the cash.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When we flew back from the US I didn't notice bad jet lag, but flying home from Milan was so bad, that nearly a week later, we were sitting up at 2am not able to sleep. Our whole sleeping pattern was out of whack. My neighbour who has travelled a lot told me to get melatonin tablets (two types, one over the counter and another is by prescription I believe) to help get the body back to normal.

I got some over the counter melatonin and it helped, but by the time I bought it, I don't know if it was the melatonin working or just that we were finally getting back to normal.

I've also heard the advice already given about working as if you are already at the destination and eating and sleeping as if you are there. I've also heard someone who swears by sitting for 20 minutes the first morning you arrive somewhere in the sun to help your body and brain reset your body clock.

When we flew into London we were tired (arrived around midnight) and didn't have any jet lag but that trip home from Milan and the after-affects were horrible.

My SIL says when she flies to Italy to visit family there, she gets jet lag one way but not the other. Perhaps that is why we didn't notice it each time we flew. Might have been the direction and timezones crossed.

14. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

I find coming home worse. Maybe it's the after holiday blues!

15. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

A lot of people swear by that.

It can be little difficult finding any sun in Europe in January though. That's why I'm getting a sunbed installed in my jet. I can do the reset in the last hour of flight and if I turn it up to max it will only take 10 minutes. As an added bonus I will arrive with a deep tan.

That's very common.

Ardi likes this.
  16. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've never had a real problem with Jetlag, but I also have a lot of trouble sleeping on aircraft. On an overnight flight I'll lightly snooze but I usually end up ariving tired.

From there I simply force myself to stay awake until 9pm local time and I get a good 8 hours. At that point I've adjusted.

moyjos likes this.
  17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Coming back is usually worse because we're going against (I think) the rotation of the earth. The US would probably be easier coming home.
    Remember when I got back f r om Europe early in the morning - 26 hr flight. Didn't sleep for a week.

18. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Yeah i tried as the agent was meant to book through virgin (and would fly with sth african airways) so i transferred near 300,000 credit card point to virgin ff points.
    Then when i tried to upgrade she had actually booked with sth african airways so i couldn't upgrade.
    But they are there for the next trip!

19. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

We both found we were fine going to africa, got home last night and we were the same! Wide awake all this morning.
    Not the longest flight but we left at 8am, Zanzibar to Dar es Salam to joburg to perth to sydney. Bloody long day, especially as i cant sleep on planes.

20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My daughter has a 48 hour flight from Joburg next week.

While youare awake with jetlag, perhaps you can post some more pix?