Jet lag - how long does it last Abd ways to recover faster pls ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by justine77, 27th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe also check the entry visa system ,they have a question with the word ever on the entry visa list ,tick that the wrong way and it may take 6 months to obtain the one year entry visa..
    TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION SERVICES Application - United States

With the jet -lag ,just purchase a normal ticket ,then bid on a up-grade to business class and start the bid low..

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2019
  2. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

'buy a normal ticket and then bid on an up grade to business class and start the bid low.'

where and how do these bids happen please tell me more

i'm really grateful for all the good advice
    The esta is instead of a visa for those travelling less than 90 days.
    but even so it did have different 'have you ever' questions most were straight forward no's( have you ever been convicted, have you ever been to certain countries iraq etc but one was 'have you ever been issued a passport from any other country than australia,' and another one had about 'have you ever been a citizen of another country. I was born in another country and so i was at the time a citizen baby of that country and issues a birth certificate and a passport to leave as a baby.
    This current esta form expected that half a century later i might have that passport number. and date of expiry
    There was nowhere to write where i was born and that they had issued me with a passport to leave as a baby and i think citizenship but that i have no idea of the passport number or expiry date which the esta form asks for. i was made an australian citizen quite young . i was forced to tick 'no' taht i hadnt had citizen ship or been issues a passpoart by another country because there really wasnt allowance for ticking yes but not knowing details of passport number or expiry date from over half a century ago nor room for any explanation. supposedly within 15 minutes i did get the esta paper so all good.

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2019
  3. justine77

Thank u once again for all your kind help
    Can u explain more pls

Eg currency card
    I’d thst like cash or s debit card that I could pay 3000 or whatever I wanted and then I’d the card US dollars or usable everywhere in us ?
    I’m not planning to pay for attractions it scvomodation and I really will stay just 20 days or less to be there for my sons wedding . I just want to spend time with my son and his wife .

Can u tell me more re sim

If I buy now will it stay valid till I use it in a few months as sims locally r only valid if used immediately .

Do I put it in my phone once I arrive in USA ? Is it easy to activate ?

Anything else I need to know ?

Most family r on WhatsApp to text or call free whether in Australia or USA

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah, well a bogan friend gave inaccurate information on his visa app and upon arrival at LAX he was hurled into detention and sent packing the next day with a black eye.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Very difficult to understand the questions given the typographical errors ~ perhaps use the auto correct on your phone when typing.

I would say for your situation, the 2 cards I suggested above (Citi Plus Debit and Latitude 28 Degree MC) would likely be the best, as they are very straight forward ( no need to move currency back and forth)

The Y-man

6. justine77

so can i get both now the sim cards and the currency card even though its still some time till the wedding?
    in australia when we buy sim cards if we dont use them staight away they are cancelled but i'm assuming these stay valied until we activate them even if its a few months later? in other words we can buy them a few months ahead without any issues when we use them a few months later?

7. The Y-man

You will need some time to allow the set up of the Citi Plus account ~ about a week for the card to be sent out.

The Y-man

8. The Y-man

9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Order the sim card a week or so before you leave. Change the cards on the plane. when you land, turn your phone on. Job done.

When you fly back, change the sim card back to your Australian one. When you land, turn your phone on. Job done.

Otherwise, just wait until you get there. Go into an AT&T store and get a pre paid card there .
    Please note - phone stores arent necessarily easy to find in the US. Dont assume you'll find them all over airports like you do here and in Asia. It will depend on which airport you are flying into, and the time of day you land. Often they dont have them in airports and you need to get to a mall or a small strip mall to access a phone store. This is why its just easier to get one before you go

10. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I found west coast worse than east coast... but that's just my experience.
    On the west coast it's not that I found myself lethargic or out of energy once the day gets going, it's trying to sleep at 2am at night. Sitting there wide awake and then wanting to sleep around 8am in the morning.

A few times I've thought I was over it and then have a big night and I'm still up at 4am. That can set it off again!

Lots of water on your flight and try to change your sleep a few days before you go. Hard to do so though...

11. justine77

what is the advantage of a currency card over a mastercard or visa versa?
    i dont seem to have a mastercard only visa card.

12. justine77

y man
    my daughter used Tmobile sim card for usa recently.
    i dont know if thats with AT&T
    how do i find out if it is with AT&T
    but they said it was fast and $40 which is less than half price of yours

can you look at it please and see if it seems ok please

thank you once again for all your advice

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We just picked up a travel Sim from Oz post. It worked, can add credit, change country.

Not all phones will work in the US (apparently).

14. The Y-man

@euro73 is the one you are after - I have never used a sim in the USA

The Y-man

15. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

A currency card is generally pre loaded with a specific currency of your own money .
    We recently trailed a Qantas cash card for a big overseas trip.
    Mainly because we already use the Qantas frequent flyer program..
    We both have 2 standard credit cards each , although both of mine are not very cost effective when used o/s.
    In the 6 months prior to the trip we preloaded money onto it when the FOREX rate was in our favor.
    Works best if you think the AUD is going to fall in value.
    Probably would not use it for short trips and for people that dont have their own money and have heavy debt levels , its probably best to leave it in the bank.
    We just use it as an extra option and withdraw it as cash from an ATM for small items rather than constanly put the foreign cards into overseas machines.
    We had another big trip planned during the GFC and with the big devaluation of the AUD it cost us about an extra $2000 AUD.
    So we generally try and play it both ways these days.

The Y-man likes this.
  16. justine77

so i'm seeing flights to usa vary alot in price and time from some 22 hours to alot more than that.

is there any benefit of ordering through a travel agent ? i called flight centre they told me 3200
    i then went on flight centre .com and found fast flights on same dates for 2700

should i books myself and are there any hints and any benefits of going with a travel agent please.

thank you i appreciate all the hints you can give as i'm totally new at this.
    Thank you.

17. The Y-man

Visa is accepted as much as MC - not an issue IMHO

A currency card can be a visa or mastercard (they look like a debit card)

The main difference as per @marmot is that you can lock in an exchange rate prior, where as using a credit or debit card will exchange at the rate on that day.

Cards other than the ones I mentioned above (Latitiude 28 degree Mastercard and Citi Plus Debit Mastercard) may charge hefty fees if you use them overseas.

The Y-man

18. The Y-man

Main benefits of going with travel agent:
    - constructing unusual flight routing
    - where plans / flights are likely to change.

For many discount DIY online agencies, if for any reason you need to change a flight (eg date or time) assume you lose your money.

The Y-man

19. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Just to explain again... Australian mobile phones work on GSM networks . In the USA , only AT&T and T Mobile use a GSM network. The other major providers - Verizon, US Cellular and Sprint - use a CDMA network so if you use one of their SIM cards you will get LTE service only . LTE is extremely slow for data . It's like being on an old, slow 3G network.

Either AT&T or T Mobile work just fine.

You have 3 choices, really .

1. Use your existing Australian SIM card and pay your Australian provider for a data pack. For example

Prepaid International Data Roaming – Optus Prepaid Travel Packs

International Day Pass

These data packs are a complete rip off, though.... For example, you get 200MB per day from Telstra

Woolworths has a decent 60 day /10GB offer though ( if that's enough data for you for however long you will be in the USA) Pricing

2. Buy a US SIM with an Australian based company, before you go - these guys use AT&T cards

USA SIM Card - pre-paid with 4G & 3G data - shipped from Sydney! | USA Pre-Paid SIM Card

3. Wait until you get to the US and buy an AT&T or T Mobile prepaid card. This will be a little cheaper than paying the Australian based company , but as I have said in previous posts, finding phone stores in the US isnt the same as finding them here. They are NOT located in every mall, every airport etc.

For these reasons, I would just buy the $100 Extreme Plan from these guys about a week before you go. USA SIM Card - pre-paid with 4G & 3G data - shipped from Sydney! | USA Pre-Paid SIM Card
    This way, you have unlimited data and calls, you can change the sim card during the flight and the moment you land you are good to go ... and you don't have to faff around trying to find a phone store in the USA :)

But if you wanted to save a few bucks... and if you know there will be a shop you can access easily, there's nothing wrong if you wait until you arrive there and pick up a SIM from AT&T or a T Mobile shop

The Y-man likes this.
  20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'd buy tickets online myself - for a standard sort of flight, I don't see an advantage in using a travel agent.

However, if you do book through an agent, get your travel insurance online - and I highly recommend that you get insurance. Travel insurance is often an afterthought for many people, and they don't worry about the price - however, an agency can rely on this to sell you an insurance where they earn a good commission.

The Y-man and willair like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia