Jet lag - how long does it last Abd ways to recover faster pls ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by justine77, 27th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Since I’m not a traveller I’m wondering how long jet lag to USA tends to last and wats to get over it sooner pls
    I know google has bits of info but I’d love personal experience .
    How many time zones is it from Australia to USA ? If I have a wedding to attend how long before should I go to feel ok presentable at wedding pls
    Thank you

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I don't believe that it's dependent on the type of function you're attending.

skater and The Y-man like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

USA is about the size of Australia - so going to the west coast is a totally different issue to going to the east coast. I don't recall having any jetlag issues going from MEL to LAX via AKL.

The Y-man

Last edited: 27th Sep, 2019
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We take over the counter melatonin as directed. About two or three nights before we fly we start taking it to help our bodies adjust to the sleep disruption, time zone change etc.

I’ve only ever felt jet lagged once we get home. First big trip it took a week and at that stage I tried melatonin. It worked but probably it was just that we’d been home long enough to adjust without the melatonin.

From that trip on we carry it and start using it two nights before flying home.

If you are worried about being able to attend a wedding I’d allow two nights before to enjoy some sightseeing and allow your body and brain to adjust.

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Neither Australia nor the US are one timezone countries.......

HUGH72 likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I would allow three to four days because no one ever knows the first time how your body will cope. I always allow three days when I get home from OS before going back to work.

If I have to spend that much money for the airfares and be on a plane that long, i would want to see some of the city/country while I'm there. And take your own coffee/tea bags. US coffee just isn't the same as ours.

7. The Y-man

Oh yeah.... definitely was not the same in the cafe at Paso Robles.....!!! Asked for like super strong black... and it came out in a plunger looking like pale brown river water....

The starbucks in the airport was ok tho....

The Y-man

8. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    The best remedy is a lie flat business class seat ... so you can sleep properly and arrive feeling reasonably normal :)

Other than that... stay up when you land. Try and deal with ONE bad day . ie the first day.

Same when you fly back. Stay up if its early when you land. Or go to bed if it's late when you land. Try and get straight back onto local time behaviours

Never giveup, Sackie and wylie like this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

The general rule ive been told holds true is 1 day per 1 hr of time difference.

Which kind if makes sense

10. The Y-man

Noooo waaaayyy! :) That means you'd need a day to catch up going from Tweeds to Coolangatta when daylight savings is on :D

The Y-man

Ross 355 and Marg4000 like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's 10 years in 10 metres. :rolleyes:

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

who goes to either places ?!?!?!!:D

13. justine77

i read a few things
    something about timezones allow one day for i cant remember how many time zone difference
    and that if you are gaining hours you don suffer as much as if you are losing hours so that would make sense that coming back to australia you are worse
    years back i remember reading
    keep hydrated
    turn your watch when you get onto the plain already to the timezone of where you are going and try o already be sticking by those hours
    thanks for the hints re melatonin and re business class lying flat and being able to sleep

how much more is business class?

14. justine77

how much more is business class flights anyone know someone told me its $5000

what about people who take drugs to sleep on the plane. i'm no one to take medication, i've been lucky i guess, and i worry about safety of belongings if i'm out cold.
    should i be? or wear a bum bag waist band type of wallet under my clothes with wallet and money and sleep away? should i worry about my belongings if i sleep on the flights for a good while?

i dont really know hints in general re travelling. i was told to get a currency card unsure if thats here before i leave and a sim with phone and internet again is that once i arrive in usa? and to have usa cash but is that exchanged in usa or here or does it matter?

I'm unsure what i should do befor ei leave and what i should do as soon as i get there from these things

15. The Y-man

16. The Y-man

For MEL - LAX return,

Economy 15/10 to 22/10 as an example:

Virgin direct economy $965

Air NZ Prem Ec (we used this one - not lie flat but fantastic service and slept well!) via AKL $3,300

Philippine Air lines (lie flat) biz class via MNL - $3,911 (<<< this looks super cheap!!)

Qantas direct business class - $9,777

The Y-man

Beano likes this.
  17. justine77

thank you

18. euro73

Where are you going in the US?
    What kind of phone do you have ?

19. euro73

If you leave your Australian SIM card in, roaming charges are outrageous. You can buy data packs but they are weak . You’ll burn through the allowed data in days. You are best to use a US SIM card.

Problem is - Australian phones work on GSM networks . In the USA , only AT&T and T Mobile use GSM.
    Verizon, US Cellular and Sprint use a CDMA network so if you use one of their SIM cards you will get LTE only . Ie slooooooow

So In a nutshell - use AT&T. Better yet - get one before you go ...USA SIM Card - unlimited 4G data - shipped from Sydney | USA Pre-Paid SIM Card

get a currency card if you don’t feel comfy using ATMs while there - but in lots of places you’ll need cash for tipping . Despite the US being a world leader , you’ll find their tech at supermarkets or bars or petrol stations etc - is way behind us . Cash and cheque’s are still used a lot . So always have some cash on you

If you like shopping - pack light and take an empty suitcase instead . Then stock up at a factory outlet mall .

And if you like good coffee - sadly you are in for a disappointing holiday :)

Last edited: 27th Sep, 2019
  20. The Y-man

Here before you leave.

I use:
    Citi Australia

and as a backup

https://www.28degreescard.com.au/

However there is a huge range of other options where you need to "move the money" into another currency first, including:

Citi Australia
    Travel Smarter with Global Wallet® - Velocity Global Wallet
    Qantas Travel Money Card | Qantas Money

The Y-man