Travel & Holidays Japan in January

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lacrim, 11th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hi all

First world problem here.

We've locked in a trip to Japan for a family of 5 in mid Jan 2018. Fares from GC to Tokyo were one way @ $200pp (even though we're from Syd). Too cheap to resist.

Anyway, having done Tokyo from top to bottom twice in as many years - at least the tourist intensive locales eg Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ginza, Disneyland etc, as well as Hakuba/Nozawa Onsen for a spot of skiing, we were flirting with the idea of heading to Sapporo and Niseko.

Anyone (who's been) recommend incorporating Sapporo for our city hit rather than Tokyo? Is Sapporo too small/dead and unexciting?? Is Niseko 'better' than the likes of Hakuba - and don't mean just the skiing,am referring to amenity, views, vibe?

Personally we love Tokyo bc its always bustling and has a fantastic pulse. But again, just thinking of adding an element of vive la difference so we aren't necessarily retracing our steps again.

Thanks

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I have never been to Japan but I can say they have the best car scene and make the highest quality aftermarket parts for modifying their stock vehicles :)

Barny likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What about the Kansai area. Osaka. Kyoto Nara and Kobe all within a short train ride of each other. Kansai was the area of government until a few hundred years ago.

Btw it will be cold in Jan and freezing in Sapporo

Joynz and Hodor like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You can't do too much skiing otherwise ;)

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry thought of that as an option too but wife/rest of family like snow/skiing....hence the Niseko angle. They're a liability lol.

6. retire@45

retire@45 Well-Known Member

We just got back from Japan 2 weeks ago we had our honeymoon there, I had been before but only been to Tokyo, this time we did Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagano, Fuji and Sapporo.

Sapporo was much bigger than I expected, i.e.felt like a real city, but it's no where near close to Tokyo so don't expect it to be as stimulating etc. We also stayed out of Sapporo at Lake Shikotsu which is about 1hr drive out of Sapporo highly recommend it beautiful area and heaps of snow even in March, I think in Jan it will be very very cold even for skiing.

If you haven't been try and get to Osaka and Kyoto both amazing cities and very close to each other. Not much skiing though.

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes perhaps we should do that ie a little hit of Tokyo with more time spent in Osaka/Kyoto (and Hakuba).

8. retire@45

retire@45 Well-Known Member

If you do go make sure you see the Castle in Osaka it is pretty amazing even if you don't like that kind of thing, the Yamazaki distillery is between Osaka and Kyoto but not that amazing even if your into your whiskey. The old part of town in Kyoto is amazing at night and very different to other Japanese cities, also the bamboo forests just out of Kyoto are also worth a look.

MTR likes this.
  9. pinewood

pinewood Well-Known Member

That's a great fare deal! Is it a skiing holiday? I just travelled to Japan. Personally preferred places without the crowds... spent more time in the Kansai area. Something for a difference would be Shirakawago. A beautiful quaint old town and if you are lucky to see it when it snows, it is just super pretty! Go via Kanazawa (2 hour bullet train from Tokyo and then catch a bus (1 hour journey)).

10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

That is a great fare ...I am paying about $2,000 return in december
    What airline is that ?

11. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

We are flying into Osaka ...is it pretty easy to go from Osaka to Kyoto? ...do you need to pre-book the train journey?

12. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Did you use uber to get around the city?

13. Terry_w

Very simple. There are several lines that go to Kyoto and no need to book. Just buy a ticket and hop on.

Japanese train system is light years ahead of Sydney's.

14. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

They all understand english ?

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback thus far guys - am soaking it all in and will come up with some sort of itinerary.

Then will have to embark on the arduous task of booking accommodation (at the more affordable end) for a family of 5. Prefer not to airbnb - not a big fan of cleaning up after we leave and being reviewed.

From what I can tell - the quality of accommodation/hotels for the price is much better in Osaka (and Sapporo) than Tokyo. Hotels in Tokyo aren't cheap. When I mean cheap I mean < $150 per night.

Airfare is with Jetsar. That airfare is still available from OOL (Gold Coast)- from 15th Jan. We haven't booked the leg back - I'm guessing that's where we're going to get stung. But we'll work something out; even if we have to go via SEA to get home.

16. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

Try some whaling perhaps, plenty more fish in the sea

Scott No Mates likes this.
  17. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Get yourself a "Japan Rail Pass" it allows you on most trains including bullet trains (Shinkansen), minus the fastest services unless it has changed, so you can get everywhere really quickly. No reason why you can't go from Tokyo to Osaka in a morning.

I am not sure how long you have, limiting yourself to just Tokyo and the ski fields means you are missing out on the best experiences and sites (and foods) IMO which are super quick and easy to get to. Although I did go to the snow every chance I got when I lived there.

18. Citycat88

Citycat88 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this be in the "Living Room" forum?

19. pinewood

pinewood Well-Known Member

The pass doesn't always work out better depends on where you are going. Best to spend time working out your itinerary well and doing manual calculations of your routes. Certain areas of Japan you are better off with other types of passes they have for that region especially Kansai area where other private lines may work out better and faster. The Japan railway pass only covers Japan rail lines. Also bear in mind the pass is 7, 14 or 21 days once activated. The rail system is quite complex as there are many options to get to one place due to many private railway companies and lines. You can go bonkers if your itinerary includes many places.

Danyool likes this.
  20. Terry_w

No. Not many.

But all the station names are in English and the ticket maps are usually in English at the bigger stations.