I've grown up my whole life hearing that property only goes up!

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Safe As Houses, 29th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Safe As Houses

Safe As Houses Member

And I've thought it's been ludicrous the entire time! What a ridiculous sentiment! Anyway, here I am on this forum after lurking for nearly a year. Now that the tide is turning perhaps now I can finally start a family and buy a shelter that won't in-debt me for my whole life.

Here are some screenshots of CoreLogic housing results that prompted me to join this forum and begin the discussion of what's currently happening in the market! I look forward to chatting with you all.

pop 1.png pop 2 .png pop 3.png pop 4.png

sandpaper and Redwing like this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate why those screenshots prompted you to join?

3. Safe As Houses

Safe As Houses Member

Certainly. I have factual evidence from corelogic (despite their insincere "Clearance Rate" calculations) that the number of houses going up for auction is increasing, while sales are declining dramatically. This is clear sign people are rushing for the exits and a clear indicator of a bubble pop.

This is going to be BIG! I joined after gathering these screenshots because I would enjoy the conversations online as the drama unfolds over the following years and years.

sandpaper and Cheryl like this.
  4. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

You're a few years late ... The discussion on what's currently happening has been going on for years on the forum

5. Safe As Houses

Safe As Houses Member

I beg to differ! I've seen many posts that read as though this current bubble pop isn't happening, that it's overstated, exaggerated and will be corrected by end of next year.

6. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Welcome.

How long have you been waiting ? What is the trigger statistic that will convince you to buy ?

Now is a reasonably good time to be looking for something - but it sounds like you are waiting for a better time.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

So would you say it was a popping bubble from 2009 - 2011 also (if auction clearance rates are the obvious sign)?

[​IMG]

jsoe000 and Francesco like this.
  8. Safe As Houses

Safe As Houses Member

When a house is only 3-4 times my annual income. I'm about to start a new role that pays more than I ever thought possible to earn, so that's helpful. And I've got years and years before I have to buy, so I'm in no rush.

9. Safe As Houses

Safe As Houses Member

Yes perhaps I would have, with a drop from 70% in 2009 to 50% in 2011. That took 3 years to fall that much, but I was 21 and didn't give a **** about property.
    Now, however, we've seen a fall from 70% to 40% in less than a year! So I'm definitely saying it's a popping bubble :)

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  10. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

You're quoting clearance rates as if they're a loss in value.

Leading to 2010 there was a boom after the GFC and then a 'correction' where house prices dropped 10%-15%. Then there was about 18 months of stagnation. Then there was another boom until 2017-2018. Now there's a correction happening which will likely be followed by a period of stagnation before the next boom.

In your own lifetime I can count about 5 cycles of price increases to corrections to price increases within some markets.

11. Safe As Houses

Safe As Houses Member

12. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

That sound a pretty reasonable approach - I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding something when you are ready.

For investments we would not have paid anymore that 4 times gross income - but then have spent a fair bit on renovation / granny flats etc. A lot of the investors here seem to be well in the lower half of property values for their purchase

For our PPOR we went a fair bit more than 4 times gross salary - but that worked out well.

13. Safe As Houses

Safe As Houses Member

It's a screenshot from a LinkedIn conversation, the image is massive. I'd resize it but I'm banned.

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Nope - not banned, we just restrict new users from posting in some forums to minimise issues with trolls.

The Steve Keen thread was posted in the wrong forum and was moved to Economics, similarly this "Intro" thread of yours does not actually contain an introduction (well, perhaps one sentence), but is instead another Economics thread.

Unfortunately that also means that it has been moved to the Economics forum which means you will not be able to contribute for a while until you've posted on matters other than Economics for a while.

PS. if you're only here to discuss economics and aren't actually looking to invest in property, then you may struggle a little to find stuff to post about on a property investment discussion forum.

Propin, larrylarry, Codie and 7 others like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The markets are tanking not because the economy is stuffed....... its purely due to the credit squeeze.... read post by @euro73

Of course property does not always go up, it goes sideways and down, what we are seeing in many markets today

Would I buy property as an investment today in Oz..... no, not as a buy and hold strategy......because the timing is wrong
    Yield are too low 3-4%,interest rates are rising
    Your investment would be lucky today to keep up with inflation

When will I buy? When I start to see a market is rising and stock is tightening.
    When the numbers stack up including developing
    This will probably only happen when credit eases

If people/investors cant source finance they cant buy..... more supply comes to market, oversupply... prices fall. What we are seeing today

My point..... timing is everything, and you dont need to be a genius, you dont buy until you have evidence the market is rising

Next question......

what market in Oz is rising today?

How many investors on PC have already hit the servicability wall?

Now the BIG one .... how many investors will
    Now be facing interest only loans revert to Interest and principal..... that is approx 40% increase on repayments

Get the picture.... many investors will be struggling to keep their head above water let alone buying more property

Will investors be treading water....... yes, if they did not mitigate risk

Nail in the coffin........ if Labour gets in investors will feel more pain

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2018
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

How old are you? 10 yrs old?

icic, S.T, Codie and 3 others like this.
  17. mues

mues Well-Known Member

As a property market bear for the last two years, my only comment here is that the only thing more sure than a decline in prices (not sure how big it will be) is that the OP is literally just a flog.

Bet they never find the guts to become an investor.

Toon and kierank like this.
  18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Waiting for house prices to fall to 3-4 x income indicates they could be in for a very long wait!

Phar Lap and Toon like this.
  19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Especially as they appear to be from Sydney. If he's on $100k, you can't even buy a house for $400k in Mt Druitt these days.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

SAH

Welcome to PC and please share your insight on property. You can always write about your interaction with housing around your locations and over time. It is always interesting to see how you view housing in Australia and globally, if you have been travelling.

All the best.

F