It’s raining in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 11th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

My ride-on has two stubbie holders built in the rear RHS mudguard :eek:.

So I hope you are right-handed .

Kelvin Cunnington likes this.
  2. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It seemed to be as much rain, and louder thunderclaps today, than the other day. We had about the same amount of water to mop up as well. A few local streets flooded. Too much rain in such a short time for the gutters and drains to cope with.

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2019
  4. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Sounds like a typical early summer storm. Good to see.

5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    For me, its such an opportunity that the cost is almost irrelevant. This is an investment forum. Surely the return on investment in nationbuilding, actually nation altering assets such as a drought proof Australia makes sense to forum members ....

Drought proofing the country provides for massive opportunities. If I could make three things happen in this country it would be - in this order

WATER
    Sorry Greens. I'd build multiple dams to capture and harvest the massive amounts of water that fall during our wet season, and I'd engage in significant construction of pipelines to irrigate our inland .... I'd widen the parts of our existing river systems where overflow causes wastage and flooding. The situation now is a cluster$u@k .

HIGH SPEED RAIL

Sydney . Badgerys Creek . Goulburn. Wagga Wagga Albury Wodonga. Shepparton Melbourne
    Sydney. Parramatta. Badgerys Creek. Lithgow, Bathurst. Orange. Parkes . Dubbo
    Sydney. Newcastle. Port Macquarie. Coffs Harbour. Lismore. Brisbane

SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONES

If you have water security and you build high speed rail, you need to create incentives for companies to relocate t regionals to create jobs. I'd give companies breaks on tax for 5 or 10 years to get the high speed rail cities up and running

This all adds up to the capacity for a much larger population, a much larger tax base etc....

We let so much water flush out to sea.... for a country this big and this dry but also this wealthy, it's a disgrace

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely - just like the summer storms we used to have this time of year, but that has changed over the last several (more?) years. My brother has a lawn mowing business and has done for maybe 15 years. The summer rains that normally come just haven't arrived. He's laying off staff. Someone else I know mowing lawns has been let go and his boss is letting others go to. Without rain, there isn't enough work. This is not our usual summer rain pattern for Brisbane.

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Still some small rain overnight,and as usual the places that always flood ,that's why make sure all insurances are up too date replacement value wise ,gutters clean ,and all storm waters drains are running ..

8. euro73

great that Brisbane is still getting some rain. Could we have a couple of days of it elsewhere pls?

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Dec, 2019
  9. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

yes; more rain elsewhere - it'll happen - always does. Did you see my Map of rainfall pic? It appears the pattern is a drought roughly every decade since 1900. I hope it doesnt revert to more floods like we have had previously.

10. euro73

Bring on some rain - and one day , some serious nation building water retention infrastructure

11. Kelvin Cunnington

I am mostly left handed, but supremely adaptable.
    I would not even put that into my list of first world problems. An empty stubbie holder would though.
    The difficult part will be how to drink, mow and text all at the same time. :D
    I might bring my two-stubbie hat with the plastic drinking tubes.

kierank likes this.
  12. kierank

It has cruise control :eek:. I kid you not.

More rain is on the forecast for today.

Bring it on - rain yes, hail no.

13. Kelvin Cunnington

Just on that; many years ago we owned a property with acres, lots of gardens and lawns set up from previous owner, plus it was on a corner with a huge frontage and side nature strips which needed mowing. An hour just on those :rolleyes:.
    I had a ride-on, and my BIL used to love to come over on weekends and help me mow and drink cans..we'd take it in turns to drink and drive; it was one of his favorite things to do. He'd call me up and ask if I was going out on the mower that day. "I'll be there in an hour!" LOL.

kierank likes this.
  14. Kelvin Cunnington

My mental image of your mower:
    ride on.jpg

kierank likes this.
  15. euro73

upload_2019-12-14_9-17-24.jpeg

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hello! Sorry to intrude. So you still haven't moved into the apartment? Thought you sold this place or is it a super long settlement?

kierank likes this.
  17. kierank

Super long settlement.

Short story is that our buyer's property is being resumed by BCC. The Council is like the Catholic Church; it measure time in centuries.

Our tenants moved out of the apartment yesterday. The wife wants to stay there tonight. So, we are going down later today. No mowing for me :D.

Back to Brisbane and the rain ...

Gockie likes this.
  18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Exciting times!!

kierank likes this.
  19. euro73

Appears there are some miscalculations in the original Bradfiled Scheme, first proposed in 1938. But it's almost 2020 and all kinds of improved technologies exist that would allow for some version of the idea to be implemented in a superior manner. The concept of capturing vast amounts of rainfall where we have a surplus and diverting it inland to provide adequate water supplies where we have a shortage and to develop a flourishing food bowl and grow the population should not be any less of an ambition just because some of Bradfields calculations weren't quite right.... his concept was still spot on. move water from oversupplied ares to undersupplied areas. Fine tune it and get on with it

There must also be massive opportunities to use this to generate vast amounts of hydro power as well.... technology that perhaps wasn't mature back in 1938. Australia could drought proof itself and build massive amounts of renewal power generation with one project

Bradfield Scheme remains a dream

Revised Bradfield proposal back on table

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/po...ueensland-election-fight-20191101-p536o2.html

Could northern Australia's floodwaters be used to drought-proof the south?

Lizzie likes this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree that the ongoing benefit of a properly installed water scheme, to Australia, far outweighs any immediate cost ... almost go to say it would be priceless in a future where clean air and water will be the wealth of a country

Angel and gman65 like this.