It's 'doom and gloom' time (again…….)

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by KayTea, 12th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Angry much?

And oh no, someone suggests that perhaps some positions change depending on how you measure them. Oh woe is me for the crime I've committed.

The only yawn here is caused by the total lack of intellectual curiosity displayed by you.

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Oct, 2015
  2. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Angry much ?? ... Maybe you should proof read things properly before you hit reply . :rolleyes:

If you are going to display any sort of serious analytical / intellectual rigor to your arguments you need to have a solid basis on which to base the discussion , so to start trying to shift a widely accepted definition is , as I said , shifting the goal posts .

Total lack of intellectual curiosity ... Mm mm ... I did read some of " that thread " , but it was as boring as bat **** and as repetitive . Nothing new , nothing I haven't seen here before . No great intellectual insights .

I'll go back to reading " The Martian " and waiting for a response on the two offers we made today ..:cool:

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Oct, 2015
    Perthguy likes this.
  3. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

So you read something in another thread and drag it on in here?

More than one kind of recession, more than one way of measuring: http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...-dives-as-economy-stalls-20141203-11z2bk.html

Figures can be rubbery or Governments can redefine certain items... but sure, have a whack at me because you don't understand it's not as simple as you think.

Oh, look, different ideas about how to define a recession! http://catallaxyfiles.com/2011/06/04/what-is-the-definition-of-a-recession/

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

They keep telling us we're going to have a recession. Kept saying it would happen in 2015. Sure there are lots of jobs going in metal, mining, coal etc. Not nice being retrenched. For the rest of us, I think we're nearly out of the woods.
    As already said, low AUD means more exports, more tourism, more international students flinging around wads of cash. Means lots of jobs for the girls and boys.
    The recession we never had?

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Observer, Perthguy, Brian84 and 2 others like this.
  6. keithj

keithj Well-Known Member

The D&Gers have predicted 23 out of the last 2 recessions :D. It does sell a lot of newspapers though.......

Sackie, Observer, MTR and 3 others like this.
  7. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Another popular saying is ask 9 economists the same question and you'll get 9 different answers. Imo economists tend to get caught up in the numbers and analysis paralysis. All the numbers, graphs and fundamentals are telling them one thing, yet in the real world human nature deviates significantly no matter how much logistical regression you model for.

The irony is that you go back and read old SMH property articles back in 2011 (before the Sydney 2012-current boom) and every article would achieve hundreds of comments all talking about how property was too expensive and bound to crash etc. Yet now look at it! I wouldn't be looking to purchase property in Sydney now but even if I did time in the market would eventually forgive the mistake of buying at a 'peak'.

8. See Change

I prefer the version , where you get ten different answers ...

Cliff

MGF reminds me of a troll on somersoft not that long ago ...

2FAST4U likes this.
  9. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

7.5% decline? Is there one real estate market in Australia? Meh. Nothing to see here, move along now.

10. Rumplestiltskin

Rumplestiltskin Well-Known Member

You hope.... but hope doesn't get you across the line. :rolleyes:

11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

o_O

12. Guest

Guest Guest

South Australia's trend unemployment rate at 8.1% (and likely not yet peaked for this cycle) might keep the heat out of the market, car industry fallout or not.

Similarly the pumpers have predicted 23 out of the last 2 booms in Adelaide :)

13. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I'd be a fool to attempt to predict how Adelaide and its suburban markets will perform in the coming years.

But, I did do some research on what Adelaide's industries and markets look like when you take Manufacturing, auto, and mining production out of the mix. After those industries there isnt much else that gives me confidence that in the mediun term (say withib 8 years) unemployment issues will be resolved.

Adelaide cant compete on say Education because there just isnt nearly as many Tertiary institutions as say Sydney, SEQ, or Melbourne.

Tourism will get a good go, I guess, but that is merely because the dollar is weak. Adelaides tourism will still have to compete against every other state and territory in a weak dollar environment, and SA isnt exactly a 'first stop' for international tourists... Dont get me wrong, SA is a beautiful and tourism-worthy place but it doesnt fairly compete with other states.

The other elephant in the room with Adelaide is the fleeing visa-seekers. I.e. migrants stick it out for the mandatory two years in Adelaide then the second they get their papers they are fleeing dor the Eastern states faster than you can say 'hundred dollar bill'...

Am I missing something here? What genuinely will be driving population growth and hence housing demand for Adelaide moving forward, in light of all of the above?

Gingin and Guest like this.
  14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Did you outbid an FHB and shut them out yet again, forcing the prices up,up,up - or put in a lower than asking; but sensible offer?

I hope you are tipping enough cash in so it is CFP, and you won't be able to get back some of that evil NG cash, you greedy, wealth sucking b@stard:p

15. See Change

Bayview .One's been on the market for over a year and the other for two months . If the FHOB waned them they'd have bought them :)

Bought in a trust ,so no neg gearing on these . We'll distribute from our cash flow trust to make up the short fall .

One is cash flow positive .

cliff

Bayview likes this.
  16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Qatar on Wednesday said it would begin daily A350 flights from Adelaide to its Doha hub from May, just weeks after announcing plans for its first flights between Sydney and Doha from March. Until now, it had only been flying to Doha from Melbourne and Perth.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/avia...grow-share-20151013-gk86rh.html#ixzz3oUzAm6bb
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Guest likes this.
  17. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Qatar flights to Europe are cheap compared to Qantas and Emirates

18. Waterboy

With these non-RBA-imposed rate hikes, D&G is becoming likely.

19. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Yes didn't you know; Sydney represents all of Australia.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Waterboy

Meh the decline already happened in Perth. Is the news article too late?
    Rate hikes by banks will make it worse.