QLD Itinerary suggestions? Sunshine coast for 1.5 days

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by EN710, 20th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Hi PChatters!

Following the ideas of moving up north in 2-3 years time, we decided to visit Sunshine Coast in 2 weeks on the weekend. 1.5 days might not be enough, but should give us a good idea whether we would like to live there.

The idea is to buy the property this year or early next year (depend on entry price) then consider rebuild or subdivide or major reno if we decide to move up.

So the suburbs need to be a good suburbs to invest, and hopefully, to live in.

The travel is decided abrubtly (yesterday, when we seriously think that we should do it) so I haven't got the chance to actually research the suburbs. Do you have suggestions on where to visit? Ideal price range is approx. 400K-$500K max.

The current itinerary

Day 1 - Fly Sydney to Sunshine Coast Airport

Rent a car (which company is good?)

Drive to Maroochydore and Caloundra (and will pass in between suburbs like Aroona, Warana and Mountain Creek). Any suggestions on other suburbs?

Stay in Maroochydore or Caloundra

Day 2 - Drive to Brisbane to determine living distance to City

Return car (again, not familiar with this, where can we return it?)

Train to Brisbane airport, fly back to Sydney
    Pick our dog and back home.

Any suggestions how to improve on the above?

Sunshine99, MJS1034 and Toon like this.
  2. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

If you hire a car from one of the main car hire companies at Sunshine Coast Airport, it may be possible to return it to Brisbane Airport & save catching the train back. Not 100% sure, but you could check on this.

I'm planning a trip up there perhaps in September for a very similar purpose.

EN710 likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Thank you @Toon, will check some websites.
    Any specific area you plan to visit on September?

4. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Hiya 50 - 60 minutes brisbane to surfers. Budget or avis. Brisbane airport easy to return car plenty of signs saying rent a cars this way.

EN710 likes this.
  5. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Hmmm, at the risk of you beating me to anything :p, I'm looking at post codes 4556 & 4575. I'm basing the areas I'm considering largely on their proximity to the new public hosp at Kawana Waters. I know there are other big things planned for both north and south ends of the Sunshine Coast however.

I'd actually be interested to hear your views after you've been up for a look.

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

A long term lady friend of my wife has several units bough new off the plan at Mountain Creek over 20 years ago and on the river,for 12 years the price stayed the same,only over the last few years and once the opened the new estate with the "ALDI" at mountain creek has the price started to climb ..imho..just be very very carefull as a lot of people below the age of 30 with big families go there too retire on sitdown money,,

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2015
    Toon likes this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Nah, doubt I'll beat you to anything. After we visit the (limited) suburbs, we still need to decide whether we can live in it. Otherwise back to drawing board and maybe just focus on investment, aka. attention back to Brisbane.

I like Sydney and wouldn't move if I don't have too. But unfortunately the non-monetary price you pay for staying where the actions are might not be worth it in the long term.

Planning to buy a house willair, I don't want strata (again) if I ended up making the big move :eek:

For living, something like this look nice, but needs to be 200K cheaper haha
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-buderim-120048217

Or this one (I like the pool only), but need to halved that price.
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-mooloolaba-120132033

Sackie and Toon like this.
  8. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I'm also only really looking at houses but specifically ruling out pools - I'm too lazy to look after one & I'm sure a lot of tenants probably would be too.

9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Yes, I get you. Pool for me is a lifestyle choices. The plan for me is to look at places where I can add it later on (the above are my preferred house as PPOR).

Toon likes this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Change our mind. Now doing a day trip instead, arrive 11am and leave for flight back to Sydney at 7pm and focus only on Sunshine. No brisbane drive. Halved our travel cost o_O

ej89 and Toon like this.
  11. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

That's gonna be a big day!

ej89 and EN710 like this.
  12. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Sippy Downs is nice quiet family suburb, handy to freeway good houses for reasonable prices esp PPOR

Toon and EN710 like this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Ok, just finished the day trip. This is my impression of Maroochydore and caloundra as a suburbs to live in, albeit a very limited view as we have limited time. Typing on phone on the way back.

Maroochydoore, shopping centre is bigger than I thought, it's like an older style Westfield floating over water. The beaches are very wide and beautiful low waters. Driving around and the suburb feels very quiet.

Caloundra is like Sydney Manly without the beach to swim. I visited the esplanade and love the relaxing vibe. no big shopping centre, but Stockland has all the necessity. Closer to Brisbane so as a living place to commute to potential work place, it's probably better geographically.

Not much to do around town thought. I probably can't handle living there at this point of time.

Eyes back on Brisbane for investment, or maybe caloundra.

Toon likes this.
  14. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Hi @EN710.

How'd you go with your weekend up the Sunshine Coast and Brisbane? End up purchasing anything?

15. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

You went to Caloundra and couldn't find the beach? You missed the best bit Caloundra has. :D

Google Kings Beach, Shelly Beach, Bulcock Beach, Golden Beach, Moffat Beach, Pelican Waters. All Caloundra's shining stars.

16. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

Check out Coolum.
    You should be able to visit most of Sunny Coast's main towns in 1.5 days. I'd start in Noosa and follow the old road down to Caloundra (not motorway). I think it's called the David Low Way, but I can't be bothered to google it.
    Also there's some lovely hinterland towns where you'd get a sea view but from a distance, but most likely much larger blocks of land.

Toon likes this.
  17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Not in Sunshine Coast. We decided we can't live there at this point as it's too quiet, we are city people :confused:

I did get into contract for a Brisbane property this month, for investment

I went to some of the beaches, but the one I see is either short beaches, stoney beaches or a bit more muddy side beach, I.e. Not suitable for swimming and getting smashed by the waves o_O

18. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I went to some of the beaches, but the one I see is either short beaches, stoney beaches or a bit more muddy side beach, I.e. Not suitable for swimming and getting smashed by the waves o_O[/QUOTE]

Look at the Kawana Stretch. On second thought don't. Wait until I get one first. ;)

MJS1034 and Toon like this.