Itchy feet

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jess Peletier, 17th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We’ve already moved once in Mandurah! :D We won’t be leaving this house, I actually really love it - if I was a stay put kind of girl we’d be in this house forever.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

If you go to a country knowing nothing of a language you wish to learn, you will be at a huge disadvantage. It is incredibly worth while to know some of the basics of a language, being able to ask directions and understand the answer, count, greet, and have basic social conversations even just to a basic level. I’ve seen people in that situation, unable to communicate when they first arrive, having to survive by meeting up with people who speak their own language, and then staying in that group. It’s so much more valuable to be able to put yourself into a total Immersion situation.

An app you can play in your car would be a good start for somebody time poor.

3. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Our son (3yo) is speaking fluently in 3 languages.

My wife is doing very well at Bahasa (her 4th)

I’m still trying to get my head around English...

Stoffo, Sackie, ellejay and 1 other person like this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Eldest just started high school and middle child starts next year. I'm not sure having teenagers growing up amongst a laid back, chill out, perma - holiday beach culture is necessarily a good thing in terms of their future aspirations and drive. Don't want them developing a mindset of 'this is how life is'. It's ok for us adults - we've done the hard yards.

qak, Biz, The Falcon and 2 others like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm the same as Dave - until this last move when Junior put her foot down and said "no more"

She's lived in 10 houses during her 14 years, so I do get where she's at. But we are counting the years - only 3 - until she's finished high school and we can go again. That should give us enough time to get the farm shipshape ... and profitable.

Doesn't stop us "looking" tho

EN710 and Jess Peletier like this.
  6. Jess Peletier

My 14 yo has lived in 8, in 5 different towns/cities. She loves moving too, but she has had a rough couple of years settling into new schools which is why we’re staying put now that she’s found her feet.

Barny likes this.
  7. Nadine Cross

Nadine Cross Well-Known Member

Stability for kids is important.

Eric Wu, HUGH72 and Jess Peletier like this.
  8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I was moved around every few years as a kid, then did it myself once I got my licence.

At 32, with an army brat who also got moved around a lot, we had a daughter, wanted her to have the stability with school, life/long-term friendships etc we never had.

However I was always restless, felt my life was wasting away stuck in the same place, big world out there to experience.
    I wanted to purchase a bus motor-home and travel Aus with them, home schooling etc, maybe then do some OS travel, perhaps the best education you could give kids, however the wife wasn't keen, didn't want to stray far from the support of her mum.

We then had a son, life became even more tied down, mundane, restless for me, a lot of fighting started, marriage ended, tried travelling solo but missed being near my kids, so for the past ~13yrs I've been sorta stuck between both lives, not with my family/kids, not travelling, just existing...

Was all this a result of me being moved around as a kid, no stability with school, bullied at each new one, no long-term friendships etc, who knows.

But, my youngest is now 16, more independant, couple of more years he'll be finishing high school, I'll hopefully be retired and off.

Observer, WattleIdo and SouthBoy like this.
  9. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Ahh. Yeah. Makes a big difference.
    There are actually some pretty decent schools in Bali however they are damn expensive. Esspecially the upper years (think best private school fees in oz, for a ‘good quality public school’ standard).

Some of the cheaper ones. ($10k/year) offer education at public school level - and are approved in Australia.

The opportunity for kids to live in Bali is great though.

Blacky

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We kept the same school for many - so she's only had 3 schools - although moved away and then back to one due to work, so 4 actual school moves. Primarily for friendship stability as it's hard to constantly make new friends if you're not athletic or bustingly outgoing

11. Jess Peletier

Even just trying to break into teenage girl cliques can be hard when they’ve been friends since primary school. Girls can be really nasty.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I get bored after a few years, where ever i am, moving soon to a home on the river with a water view,then, to the mountains of Tasmania.

WattleIdo and ellejay like this.
  13. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

We've been splitting our time between NZ and the Kimberley for the last few years. Ditching that next year and do south coast nsw (in a lovely new house..yay) mixed in with 3-4months per year working remote in Kimberley/NT/FNQ. I can relate to NT calling you, that would be frustrating to resist.

14. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Great to hear from so many free spirited people. What about that couple that cycled from Switzerland to Korea to watch their son in the winter olympics. Brilliant.
    "Life is not a rehearsal". You only realise this in you latter years and by then it is too late..

Observer and bob shovel like this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

:)
    Cycling back would suck:p

qak and Jess Peletier like this.
  16. Jess Peletier

I love the Kimberley. We were in Derby for a few years, and while I probably wouldn't go back there, I'd move to Broome in a heartbeat. There's so much I didn't see when we lived there.

ellejay likes this.
  17. ellejay

When were you there? Everyone I've ever met who lived in Derby raved about the place. There seems to be a very strong social life there and at least Broome is doable for a day trip

hobo likes this.
  18. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

oh moving, it gives me headache even thinking about it. :(

Marg4000, Ed Barton and ellejay like this.
  19. Jess Peletier

It would have been around 2002/2004. We did love it but we had a small baby and the idea of being within a drive of Perth was appealing so we moved to Carnarvon. We often went to Broome for a decent coffee and the beach.

ellejay likes this.
  20. ellejay

We lived in Carnarvon too! Around 2011