International Italian Debt - next round Eurozone crisis?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Blueskies, 1st Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Concern starting to build again over Italian Debt and risk of Euro currency exit. Bond yields have jumped nearly 2% in the last couple of weeks. Could come to nothing but could also be the start of another round of Eurozone crisis similar to Greece back in 2010-2012. Any political signs they are moving that way and we could see some big falls in global sharemarkets again.

Why investors are so worried about Italy's latest political crisis

I for one am hanging out for something like this, struggling to see value at the moment in lots of markets, and holding too much cash for my preference. Could use a nice big correction to open up some buying opportunities.

I recall there were some great buys back when Greece was having their own debt issues a few years back, at that time I was loading up on Australian Banks at over 10% grossed up dividend yield!

Bring back the Lira I say!

Snowball and Nodrog like this.
  2. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

I'm with you, hopefully this is a catalyst for a market pullback.

3. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Not happening

4. jaklap90

jaklap90 Active Member

Not happening at the moment as they managed to create a government and delay further no-euro elections.

However, the new populist government will likely overspend with reforms such as universal income and pension reform (cutting the number of years to retirement). Given that the Italian debt is already 133% of GDP or something like 2.5 trillion dollars, these reforms could actually make the country default unless common sense or the EU intervenes in some way.

Blueskies likes this.
  5. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member