Health & Family It makes me furious to think anyone would object to organ donations

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jaybean, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I honestly don't get why at the very least, organ donations aren't an opt-out thing, instead of the other way around?

It saddens me to think there's a black market for stolen body parts but I can't help but blame societies at large, from governments who don't make it an opt-out instead of opt-in, right down to the individuals who use what I quite frankly believe as frivolous arguments against it (this includes religion *straps on flame shield*).

Does anyone else feel the same? I recall the only opportunity I've been presented with (directly) to do this was when I was applying for a drivers license. NO WONDER it's so hard to get suitable donors, I bet 90% of people who would have no objection to this haven't opted in simply because they would have to go out of their way to do so, which is understandable. Hell it's even easier than giving blood, but I bet you have more people donating blood than opting in (how do you even do this anyway other than at the time of applying for a license?! I guess this is my point, it needs to be made easier... maybe it should be a mandatory question every 12 months when you go to see your GP or something).

Anyone else feel the same way about this?

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2015
    spludgey and Perp like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I feel very strongly about this and I can't understand anyone objecting to it either. And also cremations. But I was speaking to my parents last time I caught up and my mother was very opposed to being cremated. Can't remember if we discussed organ donation.

What I object to about organ donation is that my family can override my wishes to be an organ donor. They really need something binding I can sign so I can't be overriden.

joanmc, Perp, VeronicaR and 1 other person like this.
  3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I agree... It is INSANE that the wishes of the deceased can be so easily ignored. It is frustrating to say the least.

Perp likes this.
  4. jaybean

You mean you are in favour of cremations? If so I agree 100%. As if land wasn't scarce enough already that you have to let your ego consume even more of it when you're dead. And what's worse is the people that insist on being buried are generally the same people who would object to living anywhere near a cemetery. Superstitions, aren't they wonderful...

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Share the sentiment. Why can't my decision be binding.

My family are aware of my wishes and I hope they oblige.

Perp likes this.
  6. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with the donation of my organs however I see it from the families perspective as well. They have just lost someone very precious to them and are in shock and grief, the last thing they want is someone to come along and ask for bits of your body, not a good time to be taking decisions. It's a conversation that you need to have before the event and make it very clear what you want to happen to your organs ie save someone else's life.

7. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

You can choose which parts you do not wish to donate such as corneas if that concerns you however I'm happy for them to take any bits if it will improve the quality of life for another.

Here is the hardest decision I would think any family would have to make regardless of the wishes of the donor, very moving.

http://www.9jumpin.com.au/show/60minutes/stories/2015/may/my-brothers-keeper/

Regards

Andrew

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I just had a look at my license and I cannot see donor status there. I thought it used to be on there?

FWIW I am a donor of all organs. Not that anyone would want my shoddily built geneology :)

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Perp and Mombius Hibachi like this.
  10. jaybean

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

It's an offal question to answer for some people at a difficult time.

The heart of the matter is probably knowing someone will be forequartered. Tripe to some but very serious to others.

You simply can't treat people liked chopped liver and ignore their wishes to be, well, chopped up.

T.C., The Falcon, Steven Ryan and 5 others like this.
  12. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

@datto - you've never been one to mince your words!

The Falcon and Terry_w like this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

For this to work, you have to organ eyes yourself.

wylie likes this.
  14. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Very interesting to see this topic.

You'd think organ donorship would be a DECISION people make.

Wrong.

The rates of organ donorship can be HEAVILY swayed simply but how the issue is presented to people.

Opt in vs opt out donor rates in some European countries...staggering difference:

[​IMG]

More: http://danariely.com/2008/05/05/3-main-lessons-of-psychology/

Perp likes this.
  15. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    Has she nominated burial funeral in her Will?

16. jaybean

Those numbers are too polarized which suggests to me it's not all opt in. The countries on the left must be opt in and on the right are opt out. I don't think it's a matter of how it's presented to people.

17. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Some people object to cremation on environmental grounds; it uses a lot of energy.

I actually investigated buying a large plot of fringe land and using it for a natural burial site. Buried in shrouds or cardboard, no grave markers (can use technology instead; a "virtual headstone" linked to very precise GPS coordinates), done in natural bushland setting, graves re-used after enough time has passed for decomposition, multiple bodies in the same hole where feasible, etc. Natural burial sites can become beautiful public amenities, rather than creepy places to be avoided. :)
    That's why families shouldn't be asked to make this decision; the deceased's election should be binding on the families. I don't think the trauma arises from the organs being donated, but primarily from being asked to make the decision. I think it's traumatic for families even when their family members has registered - I'd have to look for statistics but I believe it's quite common for the family to override the deceased's wishes.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

The outcome may be what your thinking of, but I think there's more than enough legislation on what we can and can't do - I don't think they can just decide to do whatever they want with your body, dead or alive.
    Education is a good way to increase the numbers.
    But if someone chooses not to, it's a personal choice and I'd respect it.

19. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

It says in the post that this is the case. :) Yes, gold is opt in, aqua is opt out.

20. jaybean

Oh I see, I can't bloody read! Alright I thought so. It's so weird because those four opt in countries I thought were very progressive.

Perp likes this.