It isnt just property that cant be negatively geared, its EVERYTHING !!

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Mike A, 9th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

https://www.taxinstitute.com.au/tim...rictions-good-news-and-bad-news-for-investors

Professor Robert Deutsch, Senior Tax Counsel with The Tax Institute has been able to confirm with the Australian Labor Party (ALP) that proposed changes to negative gearing would apply across the board to all investments. Previously it was thought that Labor’s negative gearing restrictions might only apply to property investment.

Redwing and Perthguy like this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

What!!!

Even businesses, including startups?

3. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

My understanding:

It can’t be negatively geared but losses can be carried forward indefinitely and offset against any other investment income.

If anything I see it as a very positive development.

TSK likes this.
  4. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

“It would continue to allow people to hold for example, 4, 5, or 6 properties with some positively geared and some negatively geared. Provided the overall positives exceed the overall negatives, there will be no problem” adds Professor Deutsch.

Perthguy and Paul@PAS like this.
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

You would be able to continue negatively gearing new investment in established homes (or shares, etc), but only against investment income (not salary / wages).

6. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Carrying losses over seems fine. Just means more years of losses before properties swing into positive cashflow territory. less High taxable income earners looking to drop their tax buying property then

TSK likes this.
  7. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

what does it even mean?
    so If I have 3 IP PG by 100$ and other two NG by 20k is that ok?

or does it mean one needs to be net positive,
    so no net NG benefit from current years other income at all?

Last edited: 9th Nov, 2018
  8. TheSackedWiggle

removal of NG without grandfathering means,
    current cash flow squeeze resulting in some forced sales.

Investors loan serviceability further squeezed.

Interesting next 2/3 years ahead.
    all negatives are aligning at the same time for a perfect storm.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I think the quote answers this. Any loss will not be available to offset other income.

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Particularly painful for the "buy new/OTP for tax benefits" crowd I think.

The Y-man

Jess Peletier likes this.
  11. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Isn't it remaining for new builds?

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The ALP havent released draft laws. Nobody knows what the final form may take.

Good example was the last budget. Govt announces that the superannuation work test is gone for older people. Draft laws came out a few weeks back and the proposed law is NOTHING like what was announced as black & white. The work test may be removed for only some people who have little in super. Otherwise the work test definitely remains for those with more than $300K of super.

I can see some people with offsets being able to game the system when these laws come. Or use salary sacrifice strategies in some cases. Or some trust strategies too. Remember Julia Gillard - Famous for her complete about face on carbon tax immediately post election.

TSK, Ross Forrester and Terry_w like this.
  13. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Where did you find the information that grandfathering had been removed from the draft policy?

14. TheSackedWiggle

from the article, though it doesn't mentions it explicitly but I inferred they are talking about all investors no exception.

here's the quote from article....

"the proposed restrictions to negative gearing would apply on a global basis to every taxpayer”, says Professor Deutsch.

“This means that Individual taxpayers would need to look at the totality of their investments.”

“For example, if the total of the interest and deductions related to investments exceed the investment income, the excess will not be able to be used for offset against other non-investment income. This excess will need to be carried forward for offset against future investment income or capital gains. "

My inference,
    Reducing you current taxable income by the amount of net loss from IPs will be no longer allowed, Irrespective of investor type(no Grandfathering or even uncle-ing) and asset class, if this policy comes to frustration that is.

Last edited: 9th Nov, 2018
  15. turk

turk Well-Known Member

They may be talking about all investors and future investments but there is no reference to grandfathering.

16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The policy on the ALP website continues to mention grandfathering but dont assume much in that and read on below. However I would assume it wont be quite that simple and can think of a range of factors that could taint a grandfathered loss. eg refinance borrowings, increase a borrowing, stop being a rental to be a PPOR then later restart rents, add a GF and so on.

And to caution that despite the ALP policy website clearly mentioning neg gearing (ONLY) of property that the proposed changes will be broader. So the break down of facts has started...Read it for yourself and compare to the amended views here :

Positive plan to help housing affordability

Specifically read and interpret this

From a yet-to-be-determined date after the next election losses from new investments in shares and existing properties can still be used to offset investment income tax liabilities. These losses can also continue to be carried forward to offset the final capital gain on the investment.​

If I read it right its garbage to say grandfathering applies. It says - Forget neg gearing v's ordinary income for shares etc or even existing property after a unannounced date. But all investment losses might be capable of offsetting investment income - Maybe.

Even existing laws unrelated to neg gearing impact this issue. eg non-commercial loss rules. NCLs for investment losses (eg share trading etc) are presently a complex web and generally subject to a taxpayer earning $250k or less AND meeting some other tests. Those laws must be rewritten or developed to reflect these changes too.

17. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If this goes through and there's no grandfathering, I reckon it will trigger an investor sell-off in a way that the whole IO expiry/P&I cliff thing never will.

IO expiries affect only a small portion of large scale investors where this affect all - most Mum and Dad investors rely on NG to help with the cashflow of their properties and I reckon this will really stress out a lot of small investors who may not have bought well (or with a plan) to start with.

Thinking specifically of people who bought 'any old thing' in Perth in the last 10 years - by now you'd have hoped things would be getting close to CF neutral or +, but the reality is that for most people they'd be nowhere near, and really unable to afford (or even want to afford) the additional cashflow.

18. turk

turk Well-Known Member

I would read that as new investments in existing properties as opposed to new investments in new properties. This would be consistent with allowing grandfathering of existing investments and allowing NG only on new property.

As you say the devil will be in the detail.

19. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

ALP has to win the election first :D.

For all of our sakes, et’s hope and pray that they don’t ;).

Gladys, paulF, mad_doggy911 and 2 others like this.
  20. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Agree - I pray that all the time regardless ;) But if there is no grandfathering, it will affect a lot of mums and dad's who would otherwise possibly be Labor voters, so it might be for the best! :)

kierank likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia