Issue with work done by builder

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by giraffez, 4th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

I got a licence builder to put up a balustrade for me. Its been 12 months and its a bit wobbly so I called the builder to come and secure it. He refuses to come out to fix it and says I need to pay for him to come out- says its wear and tear. Its obviously not wear and tear, I got someone to come out to give me a quote to fix it and they said he hasn't secured it properly. What can I do, is the builder obligated to come back and fix it without cost?

Last edited: 4th Jul, 2018
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd send him the quote from the other person for the fixing, especially if it states that it hasn't been secured properly. Tell your original builder you are happy to take him to small claims (whatever it is called in your state).

What is the quote to fix?

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. giraffez

I don't want to get the other person in the midst of this because its got their contact details on it.

The builder said at the time verbally that he stands by his work and if any problems just call him, this is not written down nor is there a warranty disclaimer. Without this, am I arguing a lost cause? I don't expect something like a balustrade to become wobbly after a year.

4. wylie

Copy the quote, black out any details? Then nobody knows who gave you the repair quote.

How much is the repair?

5. giraffez

I haven't received it yet.

Why send him the quote, what does that do? It doesn't have on it that it isn't secured properly, he just told me at the time.

6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

If you haven't received the quote, how do you know it's not on there???

7. giraffez

I mean I don't anticipate they will write this on there, they just mentioned to me in conversation. In a quote, don't you just quote the item you are fixing. Perhaps I'm wrong but i don't think its likely.

8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Ask them to... they might say no.

My a/c went recently on a interstate rental, PM arranged a quote for the repairs. I showed the quote to a friend who said the amount looks reasonable (actually said would charge more for labour but also gets better pricing on the materials). But he picked up that the quote showed the motor had burned out and suggested I speak to my insurance company. Had the further note not been there, I would have been forking out ~$4k to repair instead of $1k difference from insurance payout for a brand new unit.

9. wylie

What do you plan to do if not to point out that someone has quoted and says it wasn't built correctly?

And once again... how much is the repair?

Brady likes this.
  10. giraffez

Ok it came through $800. Why, does the cost make a difference?

Last edited: 4th Jul, 2018
  11. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Because if it was only $100 to resecure the banister then you wouldn't bother chasing the other builder in small claims court, you would just pay it and move on.

Tom Rivera and wylie like this.
  12. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Warranted or not, your consumer rights should cover you in this situation. Go to Small Claims.