Issue with Tenant living on Lower Level with Water Ingress

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by seadogg14, 25th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. seadogg14

seadogg14 Well-Known Member

Purchased a Queenslander a year ago which had tenants in place.The Home was 3 bed 2 bath which has a Couple living on the upper level .They are occupying the 3 beds on top.
    The lower level has been converted into another living space with their friend occupying under the same lease.
    Over the last year with the rains the lower level has been having some water ingress due to an issue with the downpipes and the carpet has got damp.Have called in plumbers and they have been unable to sort the issue out.
    Have given the tenant the option to move out so that i can fix the issue but they are threatening to take action.
    The only way for me is to call in a builder and with the present issue with getting anyone its getting delayed.
    I know the tenants will not move as it is a nice place and getting another rental at the price will be hard for them.My rental manager is pretty poor and have been dragging their heels on the matter
    Issue is if I change the RM it will cause further delays.
    If the tenant is going to be unreasonable can i tell them as the lower level is not classed as a bedroom then there is nothing further i can do at short notice or till a builder comes and gives me a quote.

2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

If you have (incl. via extension of your Agent) have leased an uninhabitable part of the house to someone (including misrepresenting number of 'habitable' bedrooms, then you're in trouble, but if the Tenants have just moved their friend in there etc, not your problem.

Tom Rivera and craigc like this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

What action are the tenants threatening?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia