Issue with stormwater discharge

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Tyla, 21st May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tyla

Tyla Well-Known Member

I would like to get some advice regarding stormwater issue in my IP in Western Syd (coloured grey in the drawing). It slopes to the back all the way to the street behind. Being an old area, there has never been stormwater easement except a big Council's storm pipe connecting the two streets with a junction pit in the property behind mine (townhouses). The junction pit is also raised above ground. With medium to heavy rain, it fills my inground pool with dirt, then it overflows to the townhouses. The lawn area of the townhouse closet to me is like a swamp right now as it can't flow into the junction pit.

Talking to the council and 2x plumbers, I got 3 different answers:

Council's compliance officer told me on the phone that I could install channel drain to discharge near the rear fence line, and let the surface water flow naturally from then on. I asked for a formal response confirming that I'm allowed to do it, and I've been chasing for it for 2 months now.
    This option may be the quickest and cheapest, but doesn't fix the issue of water pooling in the property behind mine.

Plumber A suggested that I install a pit somewhere in the backyard to collect all the surface overflow and pump it to the street at the front. This looks like the most costly option so far.

Plumber B said he could submit a form to raise concerns to the council on behalf of me and my neighbour. He said it would trigger the council to install a connection from my IP to their pipe at their own cost. I asked him again and he confirmed that I only need to pay for the channel drains that I install in my IP if any after the council installs the connection point.

Q1. Which option seems the most feasible to you?
    Q2. Is it the council's responsibility to install a connection point for me at their own cost if my plumber raises "concerns"?
    Q3. What could be the implications for me if I follow plumber B's suggestion?

upload_2022-5-21_23-1-33.png

2. Tyla

Tyla Well-Known Member

Bumping up. Any help or idea will be apprecipated

3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Is the junction pit overflowing?

4. Tyla

Tyla Well-Known Member

No, I don't believe it ever has.