Issue with Handyman

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Oliver, 8th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback I'll let you know the outcome. Tomorrow I'll check with fair trading first.

2. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Just following up on this issue, I called Fair Trading this morning that suggested to call QBCC to check his license given the quote was over $3300.
    QBCC told me he wasn't registered and wasn't allowed to charge us this amount even if there was a part with an electrician and a part with him. They also told us that the deposit of 40% was illegal and way too expensive!
    They told us that we only needed to pay for the materials which we already did with the deposit and we didn't have to pay anything else.

We also called the police to let them know he frightened to break in the property just in case.

Now we'll have to let the handyman know about the situation.

Advise for next time: Don't trust companies found on hipages / oneflare and check if the handyman is license in case the invoice / quote is greater than $3300.

Thanks everyone!

3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update :)

Interesting that they've said this as on the QBCC site ( Paying for work ) when it comes to a job under $3.3k there's no actual rules in place just recommendations.

"For jobs priced at $3,300 or less, we generally recommend no more than 20%."

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yes in each state the laws vary. A persons who charges more than the designated threshold MUST follow specific rules prescribed by law. This includes a standard contract or minimum terms. One of these is the deposit maximum.

You may want to commence a civil claim through the Tribunal for the costs paid so far.

Now just make sure your property insurance is up to date for that unexpected fire that is now a high risk

lixas4 likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Ive only had good experiences on hi pages

Scott No Mates likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia