Issue with Floorboards

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Sady.Sydney, 7th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sady.Sydney

Sady.Sydney Well-Known Member

Will appreciate some guidance here.

The floorboards installed in my unit have started to lift up and it is quite uneven now on a small area next to Kitchen cabinet. How can I repair it?

upload_2019-7-6_16-54-9.png

Similar thing is happening next to wardrobe though it is not very clear in the picture that floorboard is lifting up.

upload_2019-7-6_16-55-52.png

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Were they laid by a flooring company?

3. Sady.Sydney

No idea. I purchased property about 11 months ago and they were already laid.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sounds like there's insufficient gap against the free edges at the walls. Boards may also have expanded due to moisture.

Take up the moulding around the perimeter of the to troom parallelhe joints in the boards to check the gaps. This has probably closed up and the board requires trimming sufficient to allow the rest of the boards in the room to flatten out.

If there are moisture issues, then you have a problem for strata to resolve (or you have leaks in your bathroom and ensuite). Does your robe have mould issues?

Joynz and wylie like this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe just have a Plumber pressure test the plumbing system--at least that way the plumbing is off the list and follow what Scott has said as it will be a strata issue..
    A simple- way to reset as these are small area's is just lift a section --pump in liquid nails are reset..imho..

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

This won’t solve the issue if it’s because too small a gap has been left at the perimeter. It will just cause the lifting to occur next to the newly glued planks.

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2019
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are the planks wooden or vinyl? This makes a difference to the moisture question.

Also, are they the ‘click together’ type or glue down type?

If the lifting is only occurring between these two areas it may be that you can fix it by cutting a small expansion gap around the wardrobe and kitchen cabinet verticals (by ‘verticals’ I mean the bit of the cabinets that is sitting on the ground). But it might be that you need to create the correct gap at the walls if not already present - as per Scott No Mates post.

Might have been a DIY job where they didn’t follow the installation instructions. Is there a cover strip running around the edge of the room between the skirting (usually quad or tri quad)?

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2019
  8. Sady.Sydney

I am not expert but I think they are vinyl. I am pretty sure they are glued down.I am not expert but I think they are vinyl. I am pretty sure they are glued down.

There is a skirting on the wall but there is no strip running on the floor. Would you suggest cutting small expansion area only around wardrobe/Kitchen cabinet vertical or throughout room? Also how many mm cutting?

9. Sady.Sydney

There is no moulding/strips on the floor edges. That's said, only the area shown in pictures is lifting up. Would you recommend gap creation by cutting small amount throughout or just around wardrobe and kitchen cabinet? Also how many mm gap and what kind of mould you will recommend installing after creating a gap?

One of the bedrooms have wall leakage issue from above balcony and strata is currently fixing it. Would it have caused this expansion?

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2019
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Only if it's affecting the slab

11. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Most floating floors sit on a thin (2mm) underlay for acoustic and thermal reasons. No point gluing the boards to this layer.

It also looks like in the kitchen photo, that the boards have been cut out to fit around the 1-inch or so protruding parts of walls of the cupboards. This is ok, not ideal, but would stop the expansion gap that is supposed to be at the edges of the rooms from working. This is why you have two "peaks/humps" in such a small space. Normally, these are cut flush with the new floor where the boards are slide in and sit underneath. Normally there should be a min 10mm gap around the room edge, but could be 20mm+ in places with high humidity such as Darwin.

12. TheRayTracer

I'm also not seeing any quad strips in the photos, so I am guessing a DIY where the flooring is butted up hard against the edges of the rooms?

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have fixed up one small floor area on the one of the daughters units with liquid nails ,and there was no underlay just straight onto the slab and it's still set..
    By the looks of the floor they have cut everything flush ...

14. Sady.Sydney

Spoke with Strata and they said this is not covered by owners corporation insurance. Would it be covered by Landlord insurance? I am with EBM

15. Sady.Sydney

It was laid before my purchase so can't say if it's DIY job.

16. TheRayTracer

Only if the tenant said they had a water related event such as overflowing a sink or toilet that could have caused such damage, and not because of poor installation.

You said "floorboards" in your initial post, but in looking at your photos, would I be correct to say they are in fact vinyl planks? As others have stated, and looking at the jaggered cuts around the rooms (normally covered with the skirting or quad), current evidence points to a lack expansion space around the edges of the rooms.

17. TheRayTracer