Isn’t Queensland too hot and humid?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Serveman, 24th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Lately I have been talking to some people from Victoria. They all tell me about this exodus from Melbourne and when I ask them where they are going they all say Queensland and usually it’s the GC followed by SC then Brisbane's Redcliffe’s Peninsula. Even the Hewitt’s have sold up in Toorak and moved up to Goldie.
    My thoughts are that going from Melbourne to QLD is a massive climatic change for a Victorian. Even here in Sydney right now it’s very humid, so I would envisage it would be twice as hot and humid up there and if you had an outside job in QLD during the summer months you would have to struggle.
    Yes I know that Victoria can be grey and cold for 8 months of the year but their summers even compared to Sydney are less humid and when it does warm up in summer in Melbourne it’s a softer, less harsh heat than say Adelaide which is very dry.
    I thought that maybe NSW South Coast could be a nice compromise for many people. I actually like Adelaide and think it’s the best city, but I’m the only one. None of my sisters want a bar of QLD heat. How do you all see it ?

Anne11 and Lindsay_W like this.
  2. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I’m from NSW (close to Sydney) and often had to go to Brisbane for work. In summer, I couldn’t bear the humidity! It was like going to Fiji.
    Perth on the other hand was perfect- warm, but not humid.

Propin and Serveman like this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yeah, today was certainly hot and humid on the Gold Coast, and I'm near the beach ⛱ some people might not like it but growing up here I'm used to it. sweating just sitting down in the shade. I think once the covid hype dies down we will see people moving back south and to the big smoke again.

Sezy22 and Serveman like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I now think Sydney's rather too hot now. Most of the year it's been great, our winter's really nice but I really feel the heat cause most of the time the temperature is really pleasant. Inside the home it’s nice then I go outdoors, sometimes too much sun and simply too warm as I’ve acclimated to cooler temps.

Going to Tasmania for a summer holiday, I think that was a brillant idea. Long days and hopefully cooler weather. Tackling the first part of the Tasmanian Trail. :)

Plan to do Easter to Anzac day on the BVRT (Brisbane Valley rail trail). I figure the temperature might be ok then. Maybe still a little warm but it has to be much better than the middle of summer!

Last edited: 24th Dec, 2021
    Serveman likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Having grown up in South Australia and spent some time in Brisbane for work, there is no way I could live in Qld - far too humid for me. I wouldn't survive in the tropical north - and I really struggled when I spent a few weeks in Singapore for work.

Spent a week in Cartagena on Colombia's north coast - on the Caribbean Sea, I found the humity very oppressing and it got even more humid at night! I couldn't even see - my eyes could not cope with 30C+ temperatures and 95% humidity.

I found Bogota really annoying - it's very high up, so temperatures are lower (around 19C most of the year), but the location close to the equator means it is still very humid. I was always too hot in long pants or too cold in short pants!

I suffer through January and February in Sydney - although this year we've had a very humid summer starting in December (and a very wet spring - thanks La Niña :( ). I love Sydney winters though - mild and sunny, great for outdoor activity.

Give me dry heat any time - 48C and dry is fine with me ... 24C and humid kills me.

Serveman likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes, minus 48°C sounds good to me too :D, although I'm happy enough with 1m of snow, bluebird days & a tee-shirt :cool:

Serveman likes this.
  7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Its worth it as a trade off of 8 months of cold and grey imo.

Queensland is generally built for its climate too with raised Queenslanders, aircon as a norm, an alfresco and beach side lifestyle etc.
    I live in central Sydney but find Queensland (Brissy, SC, GC) far more tolerable in the summer.

I I haven't lived in Vic but had lived in WA and the NT so am familiar with they different types of hot.

Serveman likes this.
  8. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, of course everyone has their own preferences. Recently the heatwaves in southern states have become extreme. The heat is seq is more mild.

Humidity in January is worst in the Northern Suburbs. It really stops south of the river:).

Seriously though the local places where humidity isn't an issue include beachside ( sea breeze starts about 11.30 due to no daylight saving ) and elevated places.

Spend time in the build up in Dawin, and then u will love Brissy. It's good for old arthritic bones.

Francesco and Serveman like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You should be doing standup ;).

Marg4000 and Serveman like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Standing here in Botany, cooling breeze & a stream of sweat running down my back. Give me some dry heat if I have to put up with it (Charters Towers, Mareeba, Mt Isa, Roma basically anywhere well away from the Qld coast).

Serveman likes this.
  11. boganfromlogan

12. boganfromlogan

Mareeba is great. Affordable too

Serveman likes this.
  13. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

I find the humid heat of January to February in Sydney horrible. I shudder to think how bad it's going to be in 20-30 years time.

Propin, boganfromlogan and Serveman like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Fixed that for you.

craigc, Angel, Hamwow and 3 others like this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We'll be moving to the NSW Central Coast to get away from Canberra winters. We realise that it gets humid, but being close to the water, the sea breezes will hopefully mitigate the overnight humidity. We'll also be getting double glazing - thanks @Lizzie.

I enjoyed the Medellin climate in Colombia. It's high enough to give reasonable temperatures, but not as high as Bogotá, so they don't have the cold nights. It's generally between about 19 and 32.

Propin, boganfromlogan and Lizzie like this.
  16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Melbourne will be part of the Tropics in 50 years.

geoffw, Serveman and boganfromlogan like this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Been a cool summer here (Melb) ... I think we've only had 2 or 3 days over 30 deg. Still clocking close to 10 degrees some mornings.

The Y-man

Serveman likes this.
  18. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

As you go north it’s meant to get hotter but what about elevated areas. I’m referring to Armidale, it’s about 980m above sea level which is about in between the same elevation of Leura and Katoomba. They say that Armidale gets a lot of hail storms but it’s sort of on the same latitude as Bellingen, Dorrigo and Urunga near Coffs. Has anybody lived or been to Armidale have any knowledge of the place.
    I was actually in Blackheath the other day when it was over 30 in Sydney and humid and was beautiful in Blackheath.

19. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I haven't lived there and have only stayed there overnight once and driven through a couple of times.

My understanding: it's far enough inland that it gets very hot in summer. It's high enough in altitude that it gets very very cold there in winter.

Seems like a nice place - but I got the impression that the climate there is very much one of extremes.

A local might have a different opinion?

Serveman likes this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Beautiful sleeping weather