Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Is this worth renovating?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by drrkwng, 18th Aug, 2015.

1. drrkwng

drrkwng Member

Hi Guys,

I would appreciate your advice on this potential renovation.

There is a property i am looking to purchase in a regional town.

I have an $8,000 budget.

It seems the bathroom needs a lot of work compared to the rest of the property.

Can i renovate this house within the budget? is it worth purchasing?

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

If you don't change the configuration of the plumbing and electrical then it's possible.

- change wood paneling on the wall with Gyprock
    - change benchtops in kitchen
    - paint cabinet doors
    - clean mould off the walls in bathroom and paint with mould block paint
    - change bathroom sink to a cabinet with built in sink. Should be able to get me for $300
    - new bath tub $200. You should be able to sell that old bathtub as well because it looks metal.

3. drrkwng

drrkwng Member

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the great advice.

Would the mould have affected the property structurally? Is mould block paint a quick fix or would this solve the problem.

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

My first thought is that it's likely full of asbestos - carpets, vinyl tiles - get it tested first or your $8k budget will go nowhere.

Personally I don't think $8k is enough unless perhaps you're doing it all yourself.

Re the mould - I'd assume the timber frame behind that wall would be pretty rotten. I could be wrong but that would be a concern to me. I'd definitely ask a professionals advice.

Gingin and Esh like this.
  5. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agree with Jess that you need to see if the bathroom especially has asbestos,if it does it will add a few $ onto your reno figure

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Look at aquapanel or similar for the walls.Cheap alternative to plasterboard, waterproofing, tiling and paint.

bob shovel and Brian84 like this.
  7. drrkwng

drrkwng Member

Thanks Jess,

Would a pest and building inspection determine whether there is asbestos? and whether it is safe to renovate? or would i have to engage a different consultant.

Cheers.

8. drrkwng

drrkwng Member

Thanks Scott,

Are you referring to the whole house? or the bathroom specifically.

Cheers.

9. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

Yeah check for asbestos, sell the bath and possibly fit prebuilt complete new fibreglass shower unit fits over existing plumbing from $700.00. New vanity with basin approx $160.00.
    Paint walls and ceiling.
    Kitchen...new top and paint doors, Large porcelain tiles as splashback.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Wet area walls (all of bathroom - there is a spec sheet for waterproofing details etc) & splasbacks in kitchen.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Agreed, if you're able to do a lot of it yourself or with friends/family it's surprising how much you can do. Probably not if you haven't done much of it before though.

12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

They might, I'd ask them. Sometimes it can be hard to tell, but from your photos I'd suggest the bathroom flooring could be problematic.

13. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

You woul
    You would first have to find what is causing the mould. Leaking tap, hole in outside of the wall etc.

14. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

I can guarantee that the sheeting in the bathroom is asbestos, and given the condition there is undoubtedly water damage to the timber wall frame.

Given it is a regional town you are likely to have to pay a premium for any work not undertaken by yourself, this being the case I don't think the $8k is going to cut it, especially if you want to do anything with the kitchen.

If you are doing the work yourself I would not stuff around, I'd get the asbestos removal guys in and toss all the sheeting. Replace any rotten framing timbers, re-sheet, waterproof and tile.

You can re-coat or replace the bath, put in a new vanity, and add new tapware. The bathroom floor tiles look OK so I would leave these unless there's something I can't see in the photos.

The kitchen looks seviceable so I probably would leave this for the moment and get some rent in before doing anything more.

Regards

Andrew

Gingin likes this.
  15. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

It appears to me that the bath has been installed after the wall lining.

It would normally be recessed into the studs and then the lining overlaps the rim of the bath.

This can be fixed if you strip all the lining out but will alter the location of the drain, and could be a problem on a concrete slab, or if it doesn't have much room under the floor.

16. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Sometimes the building and pest contractors in smaller regions are also current builders and they could quote the job for while inspecting it.

17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo renovating Premium Member

Fwiw I'd keep the bath and pedestal sink. I'd get all the boards taken out and replaced as suggested above. I'd consider doing the tiling myself. Pink is coming back into fashion ala Royal Princess. Or I'd get them resprayed white or something.
    New kitchen - if regional, flat pack would be considered fancy. DIY with a mate, girlfriend, Dad, handyman or solo.
    You're going to need a plumber.
    Good on you. I'd go for it.

bob shovel likes this.
  18. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You've got yourself a textbook Cherie barber right there... Pay $7k sit the class, get the t shirt and paint the **** out of everything!

But seriously, check out other rentals in the area.
    bath room, I reckon Scots aqua panel shower. Gut the rest fix timber as needed, re sheet, keep bath and sink. (asbestos you can remove <10m2 yourself following safety precautions, depending your handyness and possibly creative measuring ;))
    Kitchen paint the panelling, paint the cabinet doors, new handles, new bench top few $hunjy, new tap ware.

WattleIdo and Brian84 like this.
  19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Know this is late, but why an 8k budget ?

Work out what it is worth to do the work, work out what the place would go fo with no work to do, offer them less to cover the work.

Regarding the kitchen, it looks functional, why waste money ? I bet it is not the top end of town :)

Regarding bathroom, I would wager it would be asbestos as others say, and with that much water splashing around, does it serve as the shower too ? Anyway, it could be made good a few ways most likely, hard to tell without getting into it, so add a buffer.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Paint the Darth Vader's tie fighter out of everything?