Is this slab normal?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Perthguy, 2nd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

She'll be right mate! :)

sharko23 likes this.
  2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I think you mean, HOPE you can trust your builder.. My last building supervisor I nicknamed captain clusterf..k! He was useless at pretty-much everything except bullsh!t and excuses...

Archaon and Perthguy like this.
  3. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

True. But if you watch their every move through a magnifying glass and nit pick you're going to give yourself mental problems and drag the job out by being the "annoying owner". Not to mention the builder may very well decline working with you again on future projects if they don't ban you from your site (yes they can do this).

OP has chosen a builder that he likes the finished product of. I'm not saying don't monitor progress, that's important, just simply let the guys do their job. They are the trade professionals ;) after all. Most tradies or site supervisors are happy to answer questions if you're not demanding and aren't sure on something. A good ongoing relationship with your builder is important if you intend to build multiple dwellings with them over time.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Perthguy

I don't really 'trust' anyone. I hire people based on personal recommendations then check their work. I will be checking the builders work step by step any reporting anything I'm not happy with. Contractors make mistakes or sometimes don't work to an expected standard. Reporting these things sooner rather than later is helpful to the builder

Archaon, Phase2 and Sonamic like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Building work is mostly smoke & mirrors. Cladding hides a myriad of sins.

Redwing, Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  6. Perthguy

It's definitely a process of building a relationship. My builder has set clear boundaries which I agree with and understand. They have also given me a single point of contact, which is great for me. I've been clear from the start about my level of involvement in the build. From my point of view it's working well so far. Should work out I think.

Sonamic likes this.
  7. robbo2621

robbo2621 Well-Known Member

Ive done a few slabs in my time, 3 in the last couple of months, their is no way id have one of mine finishing up like that. Especially those edges, they are making my eyes hurt. The slabs i do arnt for houses and im not familiar with the perth way. But agree with some others that mix looks very sandy and powdery on top.
    Dont let me worry you @Perthguy, if the experts say its fine structurally then im sure it is. I would just be embarassed if i was the concretor that finished it like that though.

Archaon, Sonamic, Phase2 and 2 others like this.
  8. CTB

CTB Member

Structurally fine, aesthetically *********.

Concreter should be embarrassed handing that over to the builder.

I imagine, even if your builder plays the straight bat to you, he wont ever be using this guy again.

As a builder myself, there's no way they would ever set foot on my one of my sites again if they served up that.

Archaon, wylie and Perthguy like this.
  9. Perthguy

It seems like structurally it will be fine. As a customer though, I can say it is disappointing. This is not a budget build.

10. Perthguy

Happily, the brickwork is spectacular (to my untrained eye). Slab down in Jan, so I am very happy to see the bricks go up.

20170520_132215.jpg

20170520_132231.jpg

20170520_133103.jpg

I can't remember who was following this:
    @Scott No Mates
    @Sonamic
    @vbplease
    @WestOz

Sonamic, Aconis, WestOz and 3 others like this.
  11. Perthguy

@bob shovel
    @Westminster
    @Phase2
    @CTB
    @Leo2413

I feel like the brickwork is a lot better standard than the slab. I have spoken to the bricklayer a few times and he seems like a nice bloke. He's taking his time and seems to care that he is doing a good job. So far so good.

I still have those moments when I walk onto the work site and go oh c***, I am actually building a house! :eek:

vbplease and EN710 like this.
  12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Is this the one that were stuck in early stage?
    Brick works do look pretty good :)

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Perthguy

Yes, that's the one. I wasn't happy with the slab at all but I am very happy with the quality of the brick laying. Hopefully this quality all the way through now.

EN710 likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Perthguy how long till completion? Fingers and toes crossed the builder stays above water otherwise you could be doing the ultimate DIY project :D

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Perthguy

No idea about time frame. We are still negotiating a few things but kitchen should be installed in Jan, so maybe Feb? I don't think this builder will have any problems.

Sackie likes this.
  16. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

My Dad is a concretor and I've helped him with a few house slabs, that slab looks woeful in all aspects, agree that the mix looks sandy, hope it is structurally sound and doesn't give you an dramas over time.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hopefully no tiles cracking over time :eek:

With even good/great builders, I found it depends on the team you get sent :rolleyes:

18. Perthguy

Should be right. It is nearly 5 months old now and seems to have cured ok.

Exactly! We got sent the B grade grano workers apparently.

I feel lucky and relieved we got an A team brickies. :)

Archaon and Redwing like this.
  19. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Jan next year? That sounds long... how big is the place?

20. Perthguy

Around 200 sqm. I questioned that too but there are a few issues. It's 2 storey, so the second floor gets built, then concrete poured and it has to dry properly. Then the second floor has to be built, which takes longer being second storey, roof goes on, takes longer etc. I think they have also factored in the Christmas shutdown. Who knows? All I have been given a ball park for the kitchen going in. If we can finish pre-start then maybe they can do a proper time line.

EN710 likes this.