Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Is this mould ?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 16th Nov, 2015.

  1. Darlinghurst Boy

    Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    29th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    866
    Location:
    Darlinghurst Sydney
    looking at this pic posted on Domain, is this mould on the ceiling and walls and is it easy to get rid off ? image.jpg
     
  2. bob shovel

    bob shovel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    5,373
    Location:
    Somewhere in the land of Oz
    I think the building is likely to be condemned. Those curtains are atrocious :eek: the table however could make up for it though
     
  3. Perthguy

    Perthguy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    23rd Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    4,671
    Location:
    Perth
    It is easy to remove but that is the wrong question.

    Why is it there? If you remove it, will it return?
     
    Bran and MattA like this.
  4. larrylarry

    larrylarry Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    3,502
    Location:
    Sydney
    I think you may have to inspect the roof first to see if there's leak somewhere as a start and then clean the mould and paint it.
     
  5. Bargain Hunter

    Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    21st Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    128
    Location:
    Western Sydney
    I have had this in bathrooms where the exhaust didn't work or people didn't turn it on. I now generally put the exhaust fan on the light switch which helps.

    I have also seen this in wardrobes but this level of build up in liveable areas is unusual and may suggest water ingress (unlikely as no staining is evident) or poor ventilation resulting in condensation.

    If it is poor ventilation then you need to make sure that the vents are all clean and have not been inadvertently painted closed, you may even add additional vents to improve ventilation.

    You can get rid of the existing mould with sugar soap, followed by bleach and then sealed with Zinser or similar blocking agent. Finally top coat with an antibacterial paint.

    Regards

    Andrew
     
    JacM, Perthguy, HUGH72 and 2 others like this.
  6. Propertunity

    Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

    Joined:
    19th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    1,224
    Location:
    NSW
    I agree with Bargain Hunter - looking at the pattern of mould, it is likely due to poor ventilation. It does not have the pattern of a roof leak. Note: no mould is growing in some strips, behind which are the roofing timbers in contact with the ceiling - keeping those areas warmer than where water vapour condenses out on the rest of the ceiling & upper walls.

    Generally, I use a bleach solution to get rid of the black stains, followed by a 50-50 vinegar / water solution to kill the mould spores. Once dry, paint with anti-mould paint (you can get anti-mould additive from the paint shop to add to the paint).
     
    Perthguy likes this.
  7. Stu

    Stu Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Oct, 2015
    Posts:
    76
    Location:
    Bunbury
    Wow - poor people living in there with all the mould spores.
    Ceiling insulation (if it isn't already in) might go a long way towards the mould finding its way back. Find the cause before you paint of it will find its way back!
     
  8. Xenia

    Xenia Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

    Joined:
    21st Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    2,342
    Location:
    4/136 The Parade Norwood, South Australia
    Yes it looks like mould.
    Look for ventillation issues. Do windows open?
    I agree with others - check for roof leaks
     
  9. WattleIdo

    WattleIdo renovating Premium Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    1,809
    Location:
    Central West NSW
    Don't forget to throw in some bicarb soda with the vinegar.
    Then some tea tree oil/ cloves.
    Then the zinser, then the anti-mould paint. o_O It all works!
     
    Xenia likes this.
  10. hobo

    hobo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    425
    Location:
    FNQ
    Is this your place or somewhere you were looking at to purchase?
     
  11. larrylarry

    larrylarry Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    3,502
    Location:
    Sydney
    Looking at it again I agree it's to do with poor ventilation and dampness in room. Probably other rooms are affected.
     
  12. bob shovel

    bob shovel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    5,373
    Location:
    Somewhere in the land of Oz