Is this "loss" carried forward or just lost?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by wylie, 28th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to understand how tax works in this scenario.

Owner holds one IP and has a job. Job disappears, and rent also falls at lease renewal time.

This means the only income is rent from the IP (no job). Interest and costs for that IP exceed the rent by $10k.

Is this "loss" carried forward to the next tax year?

Christopher Wheatley likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yep

fattyman and wylie like this.
  3. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Yes

Just remember that you can earn around $20k tax free so if you earn 20k the next year you effectively destroy the tax loss with no discernible benefit.

4. wylie

Thanks Terry and Ross.

We will be listing another property within a month. If we get a contract before 30 June and it continues through to a successful settlement, that would mean I make a capital gain in this financial year (even if it settles after July 1st) and that will be my other income for the year.

The capital gain will be added to the rent, and will mean I can deduct the interest and expenses for the "keeper" to the capital gain for the "sold" property, which will lower the tax paid on my income for this financial year (consisting of rent and the capital gain).

If we don't get a sale contract until after July 1st, then the "loss" I've outlined in my first post will carry forward and help to offset the rent for the "keeper" plus the capital gain for the "sold" property but it would all happen in the next financial year.

Does that sound right?

(I also understand that the important date for capital gains tax calculation is the contract date but for land tax it is what we "own" on 30 June so our hope is that we would settle before 30 June.)

5. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.

If you qualify for the 50% CGT discount you will enjoy that first and then offset the rental loss against the net capital gain.

Go Scorchers!

6. wylie

Thanks so much. Much appreciated.