Is this apartment in inner Melb unique?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by MTR, 18th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

depends on your needs as to what you are doing day today basis (will you use public transport or drive or cycle or walk). I personally would avoid Brunswick, pretty much very small roads and a lot of cyclist (nothing wrong with it) only it causes long traffic delays. Also the selection of food is not to my liking. But if you worked in the hospital district or went to melbourne uni that would be different. St Kilda is ok due to proximity to the beach. South Melbourne has the markets etc and walking distance to CBD. Port Melbourne is also not bad due to being next to the beach and albert park and south Melbourne.

MTR likes this.
  2. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

St Kilda and Elwood has a lot of art deco old apartments that I really like. They should be in high demand in the future. I like St Kilda. There is no snobbery like in other suburbs.
    Brunswick has heaps of new apartments and some nice warehouse conversions.

Cactus and MTR like this.
  3. Player

Player Well-Known Member

@MTR.

Why buy at all? Why not rent in the areas you wish your daughter to reside with a property that accommodates your visits as well and use the $800k to buy (depending on the exchange) another seven or eight Altanta properties or similar. Surely the rents they spit out would more than cover the rent in your chosen Melbourne location with change to spare. That way you may have flexibility to move to a different area in a year or two. It's the owners of investments that cop a (very) slim rental yield in Melbourne. I am assuming of course that you are doing the buying/ownership.

If it's your daughter's foray into the property world and you want her to get into debt for a dwelling, then ignore my post :oops:

Just a thought.............. :)

Heinz57 likes this.
  4. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

5. portfoliobuilders

portfoliobuilders New Member

Hi MTR,

Check out thornbury. It has gone up plenty in the last few yrs but some pockets will keep on going I think. Defiantly worth keeping an eye on. With Brunswick keep away from all the way along the train line, way too apartmenty!

Cheers
    Johnny

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

Currently we are renting in Richmond, 2x2 bedroom apartment, 2 car parking bays and its very nice with city views and very nice location to boot, at only $560 per week. If the market starts to go sideways then it may make sense to buy in Melb, units/apartments did dip I think in 2011??

We are currently buying in USA and the deals are very juicy, it does make sense to park money in US because the market is so hot, what we are buying today wont be possible tomorrow.

MTR:)

Player likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks don't want to go that far out, but I expect there is more bang for your money

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

9. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

I have not been through it but I think $650,000 to $700,000.

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What is Clifton Hills like in terms of area/community only 4 km from city, seems competitively/reasonable prices for inner city

Negatives/positives???

Looking at townhouse??

Thanks

Mtr

Last edited: 15th Jun, 2017
  12. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

The apartment isn't bad - I would have preferred slightly larger bedrooms, especially the BIRs.

13. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

What I find deceiving with all these plans is how small they make the bed in the bedroom to give the impression that the room is really big. And on most occasions, you can never get a dimensioned drawing for the apt.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

that's a little developers dirty trick. When I sold my 3 villa development site I had it staged by interior designer, they use blow up mattresses, they are queen size for master bedroom and single bed for other rooms. Blow up beds don't have the frame so helps the bedrooms look bigger. However, buyers are not stupid, I would never use double bed for master bedroom most would notice this at least I think?

15. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I have been to some apartments where I'm certain they use these weird half beds that seem shorter in length than a normal bed to make the room look more spacious and like you have space to walk past.

Or they use single/double beds but with smaller pillows to make it look bigger.