Is this apartment in inner Melb unique?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by MTR, 18th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

.... I am still researching and learning, but I tend to think something like this townhouse, would be very desirable and potentially better growth? Also only 5 in the block, strata lower.

Would be interested in your thoughts?

Sold Price for 3/1 Austin Street Hawthorn Vic 3122

2. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I was about to say that this would have been bought sight unseen for that price, HOWEVER then I looked at the map and it backs onto a train line and too close to the station for me. But Hawthorn's a great area. I always preferred the Bayside suburbs, however if I was even to live inner east then Hawthorn is my pick. It's a great suburb. Traffic is a nightmare though around those areas. A lot of trams to contend with.

Are you moving to Melbourne?

3. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

That 2 bedder plan still looks freaking small to me.... :(

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Player

will be living in Perth and Melb, renting in Melb in the interm and watching the market. I am trying to get my head around Melb inner city, any help would be appreciated and if you have any suggestions where perhaps you see some upside I am all ears, budget 800k

I am gob smacked at the cost of inner city, last time I looked you could buy for at least 200k less

MTR

Last edited: 22nd Aug, 2016
  5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Yes it's a lot of balcony but tight inside. Laundry in a cupboard etc.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

so little for so much $$

7. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Do you have a preference for any areas?

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I prefer East, but I think I should be looking at all inner city areas, any suggestions are welcome.

MTR:)

9. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@MTR will you be setting this up as basically a holiday home and leaving the bulk of your stuff back at the "main residence" in Perth? Which means you might be able to get away with a slightly smaller place than if you had to buy anoth "full" residence...?

10. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I don't follow prices there these days. I still have interests in Melbourne that I am holding, but did sell off a couple two years ago in Melbourne and some land in Ballarat. If you want an apartment there is plenty in the 750k to 850k bracket in say South Melbourne. For a townhouse (not necessarily standalone) I would look at East St Kilda. Still relatively close to the city and beaches and enough of a cafe scene nearby with Carlisle Street, and a bit further on Ackland and Fitzroy streets. Townhouses within five km of CBD might be achievable in Brusnwick (not sure of Brunswick East). The west I don't know much about however Footscray might allow such a price point. Others may comment who are familiar with the market. Maybe also look at parts of North Melbourne and West Melbourne in your searches. To the east you'll be struggling for anything within 10 km. That Hawthorn attached town house looked cheap even on the railway line.

Go out a little further. I hear Croydon is a nice area :D
    It's not near the city but it is close to the Yarra Valley wineries :)

11. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I'd look at St Kilda and Brunswick too. Both nice trendy long term good areas.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

my daughter has moved to Melb, she will move in and we will be spending perhaps 3-6 months spread over the year.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

haha..Croydon, we drove to our property last visit took 2 daughters they were not impressed..seriously, though I want the vibrant inner city lifestyle.

I am going to continue to post potential properties as I really like the feedback, learning along the way.

BTW, am I missing something .....St Kilda, what is the attraction ?? The beaches are not exactly pristine. Yet very desirable, I don't get it

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Don't like St Kilda, I will check out Brunswick and post some properties for feedback, thanks.

Oscara likes this.
  15. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

What's not to love about St Kila? Near the beach, cafes, restaurants, Gatwick, proximity to city, Luna park... It was Gatwick wasn't it?

16. Player

Player Well-Known Member

LOL

You mean Surfers Paradise. The Gold Coast is the entire city with a populace of circa 600K. A mighty beautiful place too. St. Kilda is not the Gold Coast..........it wishes :D
    It isn't Surfers Paradise either. The nasty bits are tucked in south behind Fitzroy Street.

I mentioned East St. Kilda which borders Balaclava, parts of North Caulfield and borders Windsor as well. Yes the beach is rubbish but so is the entire bay until you get close to Frankston and beyond. You still have an excellent inner city-ish type vibe with cafes and eateries which I get the impression you want. The bay is for more than swimming. The beach and bike paths are great south and north. Your budget being limited isn't going to deliver the blue chip inner city pads in South Yarra, Richmond Carlton, etc. Brunswick may be worth a look.

As I said I am a little rusty of price points. Others who are current locals may offer more up to date opinion.

MTR likes this.
  17. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

St Kilda is really the popular restaurants, cafe, trendy, hipster types. Very popular as also close to the city, easily accessible by tram etc. not really due to the beach. My 2c as not a resident.

18. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Ah, I see - I thought your daughter would have her own place and this would be yours for when you were over. Now I get it!

So: 2 bedrooms or 3 required?

19. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

My wife and I bought our first property on Fitzroy St and lived there for a number of years. Absolutely loved living there. There is a slight seedy side, but we never ever had an issue other than the smell when walking past Gatwick.

20. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I would definitely prefer St Kilda then Brunswick. Just don't like those grungy streets lol.