NSW Is this an Asbestos fibro?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ithilien, 3rd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ithilien

Ithilien Active Member

Hey guys, I went down to our subfloor yesterday and discovered this little piece among the rubbles:
    Imgur

Just wondering if there might be asbestos in there or not as we're really worried at the moment. It seem to have a honeycomb/circular shape on top but have mostly worn off.

The previous owner did a renovation to the bathrooms and kitchen and the lazy tradies just dumped a lot of construction wastes down there. (bricks, tiles, timbers etc.)

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It looks like a rock with a layer of glue in it - however that might just be the magnification.

Asbestos sheet is usually about 6mm thick. How big is the piece in the photo?

The only way to be sure is to put it in a ziplock bag and take it for testing. Spray it lightly with water before picking it up (and wear a disposable ‘P2’ mask from Bunnings if you want to be super careful).

Either way, no need to be worried since it’s your sub floor - so I assume you don’t actually spend much time down there. (But don’t create dust by sweeping or vacuuming in the area - to be on the safe side!)

Last edited: 3rd Jan, 2019
    Stoffo likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As per @Joynz post
    Actually looks like cement/tile adhesive blob that was on some cement sheet.
    From the pattern it looks likely that it could have been asbestos sheet though.

Propertunity likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe that was part of the floor,but the way asbestos was used in those years this was built going by the plumbing x brickwork layout it may well be..I like the plumbing and the brickwork..imho..

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

In NSW anything that looks like asbestos must be treated as asbestos until tested and confirmed it is not asbestos. The rules for handling vary with the type (friable or not) and the volume. And disposal is quite complex. The EPA suggest all property build pre-1987 will contain asbestos and / lead in some form.

dealing-with-household-asbestos

Propertunity likes this.
  6. Ithilien

Ithilien Active Member

Thank you so much for all your advices guys, I'll collect the sample for testing