VIC is this a nosey neighbour and what would you do .

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 7th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

i've lived in my house for 30 years and my neighbour for even longer.

Across a lane in the back is someone who has only been there a few years but they bult un upstairs and snoop in our high fenced back yards and if they decide they don’t like our gardens then they have the power to call the council and the council then comes and pressurises us to drop everything as if we are criminals no amtter waht our families are going through that might be trying enough, just because she wants every home to look like its in house and garden magazine or she wants green grass in heat waves or she wants grass cut every week even if it was cut within last few weeks and is dead or has only a few straggly weeds

Why does she have such power to pressurise us no matter what we are going through about very normal back y ards that are completely fenced in with what should be private high fences all around.

To get her off my back I paid a few times a gardener that was more pricey than I can actually afford, who left a few chairs or bikes strewn about in my garden instead of lining them up neatly. so she called the council saying its an eyesore when my back garden has full high fences why are they looking what does it matter ?! theres nothing extreme.

. shes obsessed that there could be a fire when all over australia there are yellow lawns that are not just suddenly catching on fire. i've lived here for 30 years theres been no fires.. metal chairs and bikes are no more a fire hazard if strewn about or if lined up neatly.

how can she have such power to call council and to pressurise me as if I’m a crimilar leaving me no peace or privacy for things that are not urgent or extreme.

I’m nursing a seriously ill relative and its been really tough and ir eally don’t need this pressure .

i've seen a current affair show that was similar where a woman wa s very sick and the council were putting her under pressure and the council ended up looking very bad

i did go round and chat and said i have a very sick family member can they approach me directly please instead of keep calling the council on me for every single little thing.( what happened to a bit of humanity and kindness instead of this noseyness and judgment and pressurising neighbours as if it’s the kgb.)

why should she have the power to make council pressurise me for th ings that are not reasonable or extreme or urgent.

what would you do

Last edited: 7th Feb, 2019
  2. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your situation.

Does/has the council taken action on her complaints?

We have a similar type of neighbour but thankfully not as extreme. She likes to tell me every chance that I should take a whipper snip the front garden hedges and dust off the cobwebs (because she doesn't like spiders). I just tell her, the spiders keep other bugs at bay and that we work weekdays and we do what we can on the weekends but if she's that keen, she is welcome to do the work for us. That seems to shut her up for a few weeks.

Shazi likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Our former neighbour (unfortunately he moved out ~ hope we weren't the reason) DID come over one day when my nature strip got a bit out of control (I was thinking I better mow it soon...) and mowed it clean for me!!

The Y-man

Redwing, qak and Mavis like this.
  4. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

plant this...problem solved.

Attached Files:

Shazi, Redwing, Harveys and 9 others like this.
  5. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

hahah! i think our is alot of talk - she might do the hedges one day.. she's only been talking about it the last 2 years :p

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Not quite. Then the local pot-heads will be over at night harvesting the bamboo to make into bongs.

Shazi, JacM, datto and 1 other person like this.
  7. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

This is actually something I would do if I had a neighbour like that :D

Does the council actually do anything? Otherwise I would tell the neighbour to shove it and mind their own business.

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd moon the neighbour.

Harveys, Phar Lap and Angel like this.
  9. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

For starters - MAKE A RECORD OF EVERY INTERACTION if you aren't doing that already. These things can get out of hand very quickly.

It is difficult to make this assessment yourself. Has the council issued you anything formal in writing?

- Luke

JacM likes this.
  10. justine77

Yes each time I get 7 days to do what they want Whether my family r in serious crisis and I’m stretched thin on breaking point
    Whether I’m ill as I have had debilitating infections for months on end in last years being run down
    Whether I’m away by drs orders because of serious health condition
    No matter what they want me to stop everything and do whatever it is within 7 days not realising the enormous pressures I might have already bringing me to breaking point with a seriously sick relative who has young kids to care for including 3 under 3yra aBd newborn that I’ve been caring for day aBd night in this crisis .
    They bang on my door they leave me 7 day notices
    I really wish she could just have compassion , mind her own business , live aBd ket live and not expect others to run to her standards calling the council non stop
    How does she or council have such power to decide something is an eyesore to a neighbour therefore I must run inmefiateky ?!

Last edited: 8th Feb, 2019
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

They can't just enter your property 7 days a week ,there are laws on trespass that cover this and your local PM or the local Police or local council will help ,I do pity you but you draw a line in the sand and say to yourself enough is enough ..Or ring up those crying game 6--30 tv shows and ask for help ..good luck..

Shazi and Michael Mitchell like this.
  12. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I think the OP is saying it is the council issuing these notices?

Just how out of control is this backyard??? If people are using bikes and chairs in it surely it can't be that bad? Is it in a bushfire area?
    I would be growing the high stuff along the back fence too ... block them out.

There will be point at which grass and gardens become not just an eyesore, but can harbour snakes, vermin, and be a fire hazard. What council area is this?

EDIT: looking at your previous posts, it seems you've had problems with pigeons, possums and mice, so I can see why the council might get involved. Ongoing maintenance is the way to go - just book them to come every month so you know it is reasonably under control, and then you will have evidence for council that it is being maintained, and it won't be such a huge job.

craigc, Shazi and willair like this.
  13. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Educate yourself on the local city council by laws relating to private properties and the zoning of where yours is etc, and see if the action being taken by council is actually warranted/legit. Also have a chat with your local Police and see if you have grounds to make a complaint about harassment from both the Council and the Neighbour.

willair likes this.
  14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks mate,i may have read the post wrong ..I just thank God each morning that as I live in various locations and the people that live next to me on both side and behind all talk to me if they we have a problem and it's sorted that day..

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Councils rarely issue 7-day remedy notices over trivial matters.
    Marg

craigc, Perthguy, Harveys and 5 others like this.
  16. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Michael Mitchell and Marg4000 like this.
  17. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I don't mean to sound heartless and I empathise with your situation, but you have to understand the above is unfortunately not relevant to the other parties or the situation itself. The yard is an issue or it is not. You are being harrassed or you are not. The council is issuing objectively reasonable notices or they are not.

You have to take the emotion out of it and focus on the facts or this will get worse before it gets better.

- Luke

qak and Marg4000 like this.
  18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

A photo of the said back yard would be useful for commentaries.....

The Y-man

Perthguy and Michael Mitchell like this.
  19. justine77

the possums pigeon mice posts were not for this property my daughter enclosed her balcony solving pigeon problem for her

the grass is dead it isnt long it was cut professionally within the last 3 weeks.
    the front has some straggly weeds that i dont see as a major crime or crisis. where is the rule that it must look out of home beautiful magazine daily constantly or else.
    why do they have this power to knock at any time and make ridiculous subjective demands that shes decided its an eyesore. why cant i have peace in my completely high fenced back yard that her upstairs now overlooks.
    i'm not in a bushfire area i'm in inner city good suburb always had peace never had fires.
    if she wwants less bikesor chairs in her property she can do that. mine is very normal nothing wrong with it and this is really quite ridiculous
    They dont enter my property they view it from their overlooking second story

the overpriced gardener left chairs etc strewn at the side and perhaps she decidided it was an eyesore or junk but its not it simply needs is to be arranged neatly. since when is this a crime that they can have such usubjective power. they can have their own garden how they want.

i'd love to be able to take out something for harrassment but i dont see that making the situation better. you see shows with gardens full of old discarded stuff that is not my garden at all. it has some cushions for the garden chairs and some metal chairs or bikes near the house . maybe a pusher or two she is obviously very neurotic and thinks anything i have metal or not will somehiow cause a fire if she stares at it long enough. i dont barbecue oir even cook at the moment i'm hardly home so i think my home is less of a fire hazard than most homes not more.

my house has been such a joy to me a safe haven amongst challenges and tragedies. its horrible to feel you have a nosey powerful neighbour who watches me where i should ahve privacy and that somehow they have the power to decide something is an eyesore. its a crime for your garden not to be perfect when you have high walls all around it? why is she looking and judging.
    . i really wish i could be left alone about all this stupidity.
    can you really call police claiming harrassment ? that would just get them digging their heels in more and make it worse. noone wants neighbour problems and i havent had them for 30 years till this nosey judgemental one.
    i have on my porch some junk thats totally hidden by a tree that i'll clear when i can but not when i'm helping a very sick relative day and night. its not visible its hidden. she told me she wasnt complainging about the front anyway. my lawn is dead was cut professionally 3 weeks ago theres not much stuff i'm allowed to have more than one bike for several grandkids. this is pressurising and ridiculous that she and council have power with no notice and little time to just knock on my door and make demands giving short time limits no matter what i'm going thru.. she has done this a few times the last year and its really enough.. they did not issue me a 7 day clean up possibly because i told council thru the door that my daughter is very sick and i'm helping her and other major stresses i've had so to come back in 4 months. the thing is theya re not reasonable . they give 7 day notices and whether you can or cant you need to comply they arent flexible and for peopel in crisis its really cruel. noone is going to die and theres not going to be a fire. theres no grass theres little belongings obviously more than she would like in her own garden. since when is that a crime to ahve more chairs or bikes or cushions for chairs . there arent 20 but there might be several bikes and several chairs. in a one meter by 3 meter area . why is that a problem or fire hazard or eyesore .

20. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

yes, any photos ?