Is This a Good Price/Quote to Fix My Carpet Problem?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by MindMaster, 2nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MindMaster

MindMaster Well-Known Member

I have a unit where the spikes/nails holding the carpet down are sticking out a little and can be felt on the stairwell and entrance to some rooms.

My PM has a quote for $210 to fix these spikes.

Seems a bit much but I have no idea what is involved. Do you think $210 to fix the spikes is a good price?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

4 hours (or minimum charge) to attend site, stretch carpet and have a smoke/scratch.

3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It depends whether they're replacing the smooth edge (technical term for the spiky strips that hold the carpet) or just hammering it down, and then how much do they need to do. We don't really have enough information here to say whether that's expensive or not. It seems reasonable though, that's not much more than a call out fee.

Keep in mind too that usually if you can feel the smooth edge it's usually because of the carpet- so this may be a bandaid fix to old and tired carpet?

For what it's worth, I've just personally been quoted $350 to replace all of the smooth edge in three standard sized bedrooms and re-stretch the carpet over it (dodgy installer did a terrible job and the carpet came off it), which I thought was an okay price.

4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Does not seem excessive given 110 is probably a minimum call out fee. Unless it is something you can fix? You could get another quote if in doubt but having someone you trust is worth extra.

5. MindMaster

MindMaster Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Reassuring to know that $210 seems reasonable.

The feedback from the PM on this spike problem is that some parts of the carpet had nails/spikes sticking out from the underlay that were causing discomfort.

Tom Rivera likes this.