Is there value in selling property with an added dual occupancy CDC?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Rowan, 24th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had experience in selling a property with a dual occupancy CDC (could even be a single dwelling CDC I suppose) for the intent of making the property more attractive to more buyers?

With DAs, I can understand that it removes a lot of uncertainty and would save the buyer a lot of time in development but given there is now a possible more cost and time efficient avenue for dual occupancies to be built under a CDC, would going through that process and obtaining a Complying Development Consent be valuable to potential buyers?

I've never been on that side of the fence so keen to hear people's thoughts? The LGA in question is Lane Cove if that is a factor.

Thanks so much

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's only worth something if it's difficult to achieve and will add value - properties are walking out the door in this market so unless it's a real corker of a gf it's not worth the effort.

3. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

To be more clear I have an older single dwelling on a large block. Thought I could make it obvious a dual occupancy can be built on that block and can be done sooner then later given the CDC work I'll put in.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

There's hardly any work involved at all if the outcome is a Granny Flat. In fact, so long as the block is big enough the GF builders do everything, and it's very quick. It may only be worthwhile if the block is able to be split into two, rather than just plonking on a GF.

Archaon likes this.
  5. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

Sorry guys not a GF but a Duplex. As a consequence of the low rise medium density housing code, duplexes can be done via a CDC.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Different question gets a different answer - if the site becomes a ready to build duplex site, it becomes more attractive to a first time round developer or one looking for a shovel ready site without having delays for DA.

Archaon and skater like this.
  7. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Problem is that with CDC there arent really any delays (unless the site has its own constraints)

Possibly add value but then again depends on your design

Have you been able to find a certifier that would approve CDC dual occs (not many around)