Education & Work Is there anything an interviewee would say in a job interview that would guarantee them an offer?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 9th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi all,
    I've got an interview tomorrow afternoon (Technical BA) and it's a job I really want. Is there anything you recommend I say or do in order to get it (or anything I should obviously not say or do)? I had an interview recently and the feedback I got on Friday for it was; apparently it came down to three solid candidates but in the end I was not offered that particular role (and to be fair, it wouldn't have been my absolute first choice of role either, whereas this one is).

Thoughts?

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a fixed rule per se. Is this your first interview or final one?

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

First was a very casual meeting with the manager, this one is with his manager (ie. Manager once removed) and a second individual that the manager wouldn't name! I'm assuming a peer of the manager.

Xenia likes this.
  4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If you're the right candidate you are the right candidate.

If you can provide answers that make them feel you are the most suitable. If not, then it comes down whether they want to settle.

5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Tell them you will work for free given you've had such amazing capital gains in Sydney ;)

TMNT, legallyblonde, wylie and 12 others like this.
  6. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Every time I go for a job I really want, I come across so nervous, I mince my words and absolutely bamboozle it.

Clear your head before hand (exercise, meditate, sauna whatever) and zone in. What is it you have that you don't think others will have. What makes you be able to hit the ground running in this position.

Gladys and legallyblonde like this.
  7. Archer

Archer Well-Known Member

Have a very clear idea of what you want them to know about you and make sure you incorporate that into your answers

legallyblonde, Joynz and Perthguy like this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have been on the panel selecting new employees and in my experience it is not one thing that gets you hired or not. It really does come down to the whole package from the way you present yourself, your attitude and manners and the way you approach answering the questions. In my experience, being honest and showing some personality helps too but I imagine that is not universal.

9. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

A Sharon Stone style skirt incident should prove unforgettable.

Joking of course!;)

Gladys likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have been on a number of interview panels in the past.

I suggest just be genuinely you.

Give honest, considered answers. Don't be worried to ask for clarification - in fact, being able to ask is a strength.

Remember to include all the interviewers in your answers - by running your gaze in a natural way to each at some stage as you answer, not just the person who asked the question. If you don't manage this every time don't worry though!

People will always prefer the candidate they connect with through shared values or energy.

And you can learn anything that you don't already know - that ability and flexibility is very important.

Remember, they want you to be the right candidate!

Last edited: 9th Apr, 2017
    mcarthur, Gockie, neK and 1 other person like this.
  11. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Do you have a list of questions you want to ask?
    • What MOEs/KPIs is the role measured by?
    • How does the role contribute to core business outcomes/goals?
    • How are staff empowered by management to succeed?
    • Where is the business heading in the next 3-5 yrs?
    ^^^These sort of questions demonstrate a sense of broader awareness & can unsettle the interviewers just enough to equalise the discussions.

Have you thought about how you would answer their difficult questions?
    • Why are you better than the other candidates?
    • Tell us about yourself...... <-- answer should be business focussed.
    • Why should we hire you?
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with a workplace confrontation or equity issue...
    ^^^Surprisingly, many don't give these questions careful consideration prior to the interview. Think about why they would ask such questions.......

Good luck and be confident, deliberate & thoughtful with responses without being narcissistic. It's always worked for me.

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Try to keep swear words to a minimum.

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I strongly recommend not trying to unsettle the interviewers on purpose!

As an interviewer, I would expect a candidate to already understand some of the answers to the questions above. I would expect them to have researched the company.

I agree that you need an answer to the 'difficult situation / conflict' question' and you need to know the value you will provide to the company.

Also, try to give examples wherever possible - in a natural way - to illustrate your contribution and responses and achievement of successful outcomes.

In my last interview, I was asked for an example demonstrating initiative / innovation. Don't worry if you just describe something small, it's the process they are interested in.

14. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

It depends on the level of the role but the intention is not to unsettle the interviewer completely but rather, ask well considered questions regarding the business & how the role fits into it. When the interviewer has to pause & collect their thoughts to respond, you've probably asked a well considered probing question. It must be relevant though. Perhaps I should've chosen my words a little more carefully.

I don't agree that Internet research answers these questions other than some general details about the 3-5 yr horizon..... things like planned restructuring are rarely online unless implementation phase imminent.

I too have sat on both sides of the table many times & prefer candidates to ask thoughtful questions well beyond remuneration & self interested topics. Especially for more senior roles.

15. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

@Indifference i agree.
    I've sat on the panel of a lot of interviews. Many of which have been one sided with us asking all the questions. You get towards the end and ask if they have any questions - and get the response 'no'. It's very offputting.
    My follow up question is then usually, "ok - what can you tell me about our company/project". If they can't answer that with any sense it's usually game over. I would expect a candidate to have spent considerable time researching the company.

Blacky.

wylie, Perthguy and Indifference like this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

FFS @datto why the bl@@dy hell would you do that? Those ¿¡&%s on the panel wouldn't know schist from clay!

TerryN and datto like this.
  17. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

I like it when my staff (particularly the technical ones) have an interest in the broader work environment, and how their work contributes to the success of the business.

You may be able to demonstrate this by asking them about challenges they have which impact the area you'll be working in. You'll likely be able to think of some strategies for managing/eradicating these challenges and discuss these in the interview. They'll be able to see how you approach problem solving and possibly how you'll implement solutions.

I also think it's important to be yourself, you can often identify the people who aren't genuine in an interview pretty quickly.

Gockie, Perthguy and Joynz like this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Very true. But remember, this is a job interview so best to play the safe card.

19. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I have no experience here, but if I really wanted a permanent job somewhere, I'd offer to work 2 weeks for free on a trial basis, not in a desperate way, with no obligation of being hired permanently.
    Then, during that 2 weeks trial, give them absolutely no reason to not keep you on.
    What have they got to lose, and this will show them your confidence in yourself and willingness to contribute at no risk to the company.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That's why uni work experience can be so good - provides a foot in the door.

Not a strategy Gockie needs though because she already has a job (i.e. position of strength)...so the new people will be lucky to get her!

Last edited: 9th Apr, 2017