ASX Shares Is there any upside to Myer (MYR)?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by trinity168, 20th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Agree - while it is good to be able to browse for clothes and try stuff on, for pretty much anything else, I will turn to online first because it is easier.

I ordered a new mouse and some other computer gear from JB Hifi on Wednesday evening and it was delivered before 2pm the next day for around $4 delivery fee - the whole process took less than 5 minutes (including browsing the site!) and was very easy.

I also use click-and-collect quite a bit from JB Hifi / Harvey Norman / Rebel Sport / 99 Bikes / Scorptec etc.

The businesses which have transitioned to a model of both physical and online presences will continue to do well.

I cannot see Myer making any inroads into this area. None of those traditional department stores have done anything decent online. I once tried to buy something from David Jones online and it simply wouldn't work. They also don't have everything listed and simply don't seem to care about online sales. I think they really don't get it.

2. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

the only way i can see myer or david jones (IMHO they are on the same boat, which is a sinking one) to be successful is to adopt the Harrods model.

i can see david jones is slowly turning itself into it,

but can myres do it as their target market is at a lower spending power, that all depends on their product i guess?

and the consumer market is getting younger, even me in my 30's hardly shops retail let alone the generation younger than me.

the world most valuable real estate is the phone screen not the shopping strip anymore unfortunately.

3. Simon Hampel

I'm not familiar with the Harrods model - are you able to explain more?

4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

Technically its a retailer like these david jones, but harrolds of course is as high end as it gets,

Customer services is paramount with professional shopping aids.

due to the nature of the products, you will not buy these products online hence people walk in the store.

The only reason for people go retail now days is because you cant find it anywhere else.

whether australian market has the financial power for stuff like this is another question.

too keep things extry spicy, harrolds does collaborative models of shoes/clothes/watches etc with these designer brands to keep them trendy/relevant.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

6. Simon Hampel

Lew is the gift that keeps on giving