Education & Work Is there an IT skills shortage?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Graeme, 6th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Minitran at high school was about the same time that Gates was starting his first company, but a few years after he started programming.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I thought Minitran was the midget transvestite from Lord of The Rings.

3. geoffw

My less deviant mind only comes up with small transistor radios... but then, one has to be as old as me to even remember those.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That is really dumb...if they they go down that path....it will cost them a motza...."Agile" is so inappropriately used.

If they go down this path...the cost of IT Projects will go down the tube...at least keep the Program Management function....as costs needs to be managed...

BKRinvesting likes this.
  5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Most likely, they will just be rebranded to 'service delivery managers ' or the like...
    Very similar duties and responsibilities, just perhaps not having the title of PM as agile doesn't really have a specific role called the PM.
    Alternatively, they could just come to Brisbane... We are behind the times here...we need project managers to round up the cattle before the sun sets for the day.
    :)

Orion likes this.
  6. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Real IT companies in Brisbane have been using agile practices for 8-10 years.. dinosaurs don't know what day of the week it is...

7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

True. However, a lot of companies in Brisbane ( and many other cities) say they use agile methods...but few do it well...most are what they call hybrid agile environments. Whether they are fully agile or hybrid, execution is a real problem abs most don't get near the level of business benefits that agile methods espouse.
    And rounding up the cattle before the sun sets is very important. I think I remember there was a specific instruction for that during the ekka- Brisbane even gave a public holiday for that kinda stuff :)

8. Scott No Mates

Forgot about them, I thought you were more a vacuum tube kinda guy.

geoffw likes this.
  9. geoffw

No. The vacuum tubes I'm familiar with were connected to vacuum cleaners. Barrel vacuum cleaners were starting to come into vogue.

(My parents were into vacuum tube radios. Transistor radios, some of them bricks, were coming into common use).

I wonder what sort of conversations people will be having in 40 years time about today's technologies.

10. Scott No Mates

IC, I'll be a shade old by then.

11. geoffw

Yes, I had the younger members of the forum in mind when I said that. Not oldies like you or me.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  12. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Tell me about it!

I've seen Agile done as everything from "we have a stand-up every morning" through to going down the whole estimation, burndown charts, and sprints route.

I think that Agile done well is a net benefit, but I'm not convinced that it's necessary any better than other approaches. The big win is probably team communication, from the stand-up, and having visibility of what other people are doing.

But it can break down when you get a large team, or the scrum master runs a couple of stand-ups together to save themselves time. And there's always one person who goes on and on...

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It comes down to risk/reward in some ways. I am working for an organisation that is stuck on waterfall. They just rolled out a project they have been working on for nearly 2 years. That's nearly 12 months of documenting requirements and locking down the specs then build, test, refine and rollout. The system they have delivered does not meet business requirements. The issue is that when gathering business requirements the tram relied on the business giving accurate requirements, which didn't happen. The project was doomed from that point.

My issue is that the business has waited 2 years for a product and the product is not suitable. That is a lot of time to waste getting something that doesn't work.

Done well, agile could have delivered a suitable product in a shorter. But as you say, that relies on it being done well.

Done badly, no methodology is going to deliver what the business needs. I guess with agile though, it can get to the non-functional system a lot faster than waterfall. I don't know what the answer is but from a user perspective, I can confirm it is frustrating that the system does not do what I need it to do.

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There is a lot to be said for the way many startups work - work hard to deliver an MVP (Minimum Viable Product), then test it with the customer (ie the business users) to ensure you're on the right track and then iterate quickly based on the feedback you get.

It may or may not be using "Agile" development methodologies - but the process is less important than the end product. Build something quickly - check that you're giving people what they want - and then add features in small steps, getting constant feedback and LISTENING to the customers.

BKRinvesting, Perthguy and Gockie like this.
  15. geoffw

We've found that in our startup. The first design was too heavy - it didn't pass user walkthrough. We came up with a quite different design which worked well. It was much easier to change early. Even our early MVP got cut right back; now, with a working product, we are working on giving features based on feedback.

Perthguy, Gockie and Simon Hampel like this.
  16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Re: Product or system not delivering what is expected... I could have a long a rant right now... but I won't share it on the forum. Will be happy to talk face to face on this though.

17. Perthguy

The other issue I have found with waterfall is that the business signed off on the requirements document and now the system has been delivered but doesn't meet requirements, the development team is very lost. They are saying "but the business signed off on the requirements, what do you mean the system doesn't meet business requirements?". They have started a new project control group to find out what has gone wrong and how to fix it. It's exasperating.

I spoke to the business rep who signed the business requirements document and he told me he didn't understand it and didn't even read most of it. No wonder the project was doomed from the start.

18. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Not sure who said it...but of the only tool you have is a hammer then every problem will be a nail. Often 'Agilists' expose a religious fervor that blinds their common sense.

Agile works well in a startup environment or in self contained endeavours but struggles to deal with complex dependency networks especially across multiple suppliers.

Ive been through RAD, JAD, Spiral, XP and Agile. They are great where, for instance, user interfaces or interpretation of business rules is involved. But they are left wanting in areas such as procurement, infrastructure etc is concerned.

As I recently pointed out to a colleague...once the estate is developed, the permits obtained and the house framed, you can certainly 'sprint' through fitting out and decorating the rooms as in "The Block", but building a house by completing one room at a time would entail way too much rework and cost.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Fire him. Giving sign off on the BRD is a very important role.

And it doesn't sound like the BRD writer and the business rep took time to sit together and step through the document!? Another huge fail.

Ghoti likes this.
  20. Perthguy

There are a lot of politics involved. The development team has gone through a lot of reps. I was originally a rep but they couldn't work with me because I have an I.T. degree and I.T. background. They needed someone who would accept what they were saying. The guy who signed off on the BRD was replaced soon after with another person without the skills or knowledge to do the job. As far as I know there have been 5 business reps for that one project.