Is the sky falling?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by BuyersAgent, 18th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

This one factor I can never get my head around.

What's the point of continually bringing folks in if there are not enough jobs for them to easily get, and a growing volume of welfare recipients Aus wide?

That's akin to me constantly buying tyres for my workshop, knowing I won't have the volume of customers to sell them to, and/or or the cashflow to pay for them in a month's time.

2FAST4U likes this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Local tyre dealer has had a closing down sale sign up for last 2 years outside the corner location workshop ,that sign keeps him in business,.

Bayview likes this.
  3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Same here...just comic relief...a big brother contestant vs a model/actress....My understanding is that when Trump started the show, it had some more seriousness to it and he actually hired the winner on a big salary to manage one of his projects. It's been *******ised since to what it is now...

4. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Well it only takes one of them with a great idea to generate a lot of jobs. A lot of them have skills we don't in Australia, an even greater percentage have a willingness to do jobs that Australian's wont (check out the workforce of basically any cleaning company or petrol station or taxi rank...).

It would be interesting to get a breakdown of the welfare recipients between Australian's and immigrants. If you put a gun to my head and made me guess I'd be taking that it's immigrants making up those job growth numbers and Australians growing the welfare system in the majority.

I guess with your little analogy you could flip it to if you do keep buying too many tires then you need to get up and try and do something more to sell them, so by bringing in the extras the idea is to stimulate things. We do need the population growth to be fair, it's more a case of the market needing to adapt and come up with ways to create jobs rather than the growth itself being the problem.

BuyersAgent likes this.
  5. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    If I ever became unemployed I would be happy to work at a petrol station (until I find something better). When I was studying I applied at BP, OTR, Shell/Coles, Caltex and even a couple of independents. I couldn't even get an interview! Perhaps if my last name was 'Singh' they might have given me a chance...

6. wogitalia

I don't think it would be a terrible gig either and perhaps you're right. Maybe I should have used a car wash instead ;)

2FAST4U likes this.
  7. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

A number of years ago whe Austalia was limping along and other countries were booming (esspecially the likes of the UAE) there was quite an exedous of Australian talent to these countries. A move overseas was a smart choice. AUD was low, tax free income abroad, international lifestyle, good jobs with premium over earning capacity in Australia.
    To what extent (numbers) people moved I dont know, and couldnt find any stats on. However, annecdotilly it was not an insignificant number.

It was about this time I started looking for an internationl move.

I know a lot of people have since returned for a number of reasons. Mostly the reverse of what I commented above.

I wonder if we will start to see some of the younger folks talking the oppotunity to move abroad?
    One of our greatest exports might be well educated (though lazy) talent pool.

Blacky

8. Bayview

Of course.

Meanwhile, in the real world; bills need to be paid first, so cashflow management is required while you do the above.

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2015
  9. wogitalia

Totally true... but you can always borrow from the bank right ;)

At least that's the Australian mentality only replace bank with future generations!

10. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    I'm hoping to move to New York or London around November next year after I have finished my Post Grad and MBA. Not for any monetary reasons but for a change in lifestyle. I've been stuck in a bit of a rut in Australia since breaking up with my partner of 5 years 12 or 18 months ago and am looking for something different, Australia's just not doing it for me at the moment.

11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Why move somewhere so easy? Why not spread your wings? Set a challenge for yourself. Move to a challenging environement?

Ive not been to NY so cant comment.
    I have spent far too much time in the UK. London in the same as most cities in Australia...just with more people and older buildings. Ill go out on a limb and say there is a bigger cultural difference between Perth and Melbourne than there is between Melbourne and London... Go figure.

Blacky

Ozzie in Texas likes this.
  12. Bayview

Syria.

13. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

The sky isn't falling and noone will die.

Australia's economy has faced far worst in the 1970s/80s. And even with those economic challenges, there was still investment $$ sloshing around trying to find a home to invest.

That isn't to say that property prices won't be affected..........they will.

But there are suburbs that will continue to fair far better than others because they didn't play party to the same level of speculation as other suburbs/cities.

Even during the property slow down in 2008, there were suburbs that noone wanted to touch........and as an investor, they are exactly what you wanted to focus on.

The old saying of "do not fear what others do".

I still believe for a variety of economic reasons, there are better investment opportunities outside of Australia than in its borders at the moment - and that is for a variety of reasons, including its aging population, over reliance on commodities to sustain its economy, a tax system that favours speculation over home ownership.

For the money, imo, you can find better value elsewhere if you have $$ to park or invest.

14. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

15. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    The purpose is to work in another country, in the same role as I'm in now. Makes it a bit harder to move anywhere else unless I pick up another language. Im studying full time and working full time so that's out of the question

16. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Never believe anything until it's officially denied! :D

If @lynchy is looking at New York or London, then I'd guess that the financial sector is what's calling.

I'd throw in San Francisco and Silicon Valley as another option. The tech sector is currently at its peak, and it'd be fascinating to see it before it gets hit by the inevitable unicornicide. That said, given the recent reduction in the IPO price for Square, the end might be somewhat nearer.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's racist... that you didn't even get an interview.

18. turk

turk Well-Known Member

It would seem that noone read the unemployment report nor the one that you have linked to, which is an out of date November 2014 Roy Morgan survey.

Perhaps the sage comments are a tad misplaced:D

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Oh yes, that article is from December 2014, well spotted.

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I generally agree that there are not a lot of good buying opportunities for now in Australia. But not for the reasons you give. I think it is more about the stage in the property cycle. It also depends on what you are looking for. I sold my Melbourne I.P. today to a guy who is going to develop it down the track for his family to live in one townhouse and his brother and their family in the other. They are all builders, which changes all the numbers. He picked it up for a great price and I think they will do well out of it. The thing is that these sites are very tightly held and we only sold because the market is right up. That means that if they want a development site in the area, they will have to pay for it. I would say they are the exception though. For most, it would not stack up.