Is the market picking up with an election looming?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Angel, 19th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Nah, wait till next year.

2. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

I'm going to say something incredibly naive. I don't think it will crash, not until rates rise considerably.

Once things begin to look affordable (like they already are now in some areas) demand simply picks up again. The market is slightly shaken by sentiment and credit tightening, everything else is still the same. If it looks affordable and people can buy it they will. Once they're forced out by high rates and low yields that's a different story.

I'm still expecting a big drop to come next, there's no more gains and everybody who bought in silly season will probably lose 10%. At the same time I don't see any major crashes happening unless rates/yields change.

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2019
    Cmelderis likes this.
  3. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

I am 80% in agreement with you...I am strongly considering buying an IP in Sydney this year, maybe next but dare I say I have a little fear that if I wait until next year I might be paying more.

JamesP and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  4. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

I don't think prices in Sydney will crash from here either.

The RBA said earlier this week that if prices fall further, it will trigger concerns about the risk of a recession. My guess is that they won't take their chances.

But whether the averages fall or not, I can tell you for sure that there are great deals out there right now.

Even properties I purchased for clients in early 2018 have gone up in value, though these were buy/renovate/hold purchases.

JamesP likes this.
  5. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

If you want to play the long game wait until rates go back to 9% That's the only certain plan I have atm. Personally I wouldn't buy currently in Melb/Syd but I'm extremely risk adverse. There are definitely properties around with good potential. If I had to buy now all my focus would be in the buy itself. Below market value, A grade property, lots of scope to add value. The absolute last thing I would do is buy a high rise apartment or a jellybean in the urban sprawl estates.

Cmelderis likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thank God I never read that rule book. I'd have alot less net worth today . :eek:

The only rule I have for investing is make sure you educate yourself on the basics first . Besides that, no hard and fast fixed rigid rules to be applied to all.

kierank and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  7. mues

mues Well-Known Member

My only rule is buy every dip!

On a serious note. It’s identify quality assets and keep investing more. That’s basically my strategy.

Redom and John_BridgeToBricks like this.