Travel & Holidays Is 'the lap' boring?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 16th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Booking one spot like that does sound selfish.

I've got plenty of time to work something out. Not planning to go until August or September next year. I will give NT parks a call in the meantime and see what they say.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Where are you going from, to, how long etc etc?

3. wombat777

Plan is a month away. At this stage heading up from Sydney via Carnarvon Gorge to Darwin / Kakadu / Litchfield. Then down the centre to Alice Springs. A loop out to Palm Valley, Finke Gorge and Kings Canyon. Then down to Uluru and Kata Tjuta. Over to the Oodnadatta Track and down to the top of the Flinders and back via Broken Hill or Barassa and The Hay Plain.

Have not even looked at timings yet. Did a similar trip in '99 so I think doable but that had lots of time in Eastern Arnhem Land. Myself and a couple of friends going in one vehicle.

4. bob shovel

@wombat777 great trip! And carnarvon gorge is brilliant! Lots of walking but worth it

See if you can squeeze in the east macdonald ranges via the plenty highway maybe? I haven't been but heard they're good and less people around. Thats depending which way you head up to Darwin. To save time I'd cut darwin out, i wasn't a fan.

Get the wiki camps app and the comments from people should give you an idea if you need to book ahead

5. wombat777

@bob shovel thanks for the tip! Will definitely look into it.

How many kms have you done on this trip and how long have you been on the road?

6. bob shovel

We did all up 10500km over 5 weeks. We did a bit of night driving to knock over the k's while the kids slept! Peaceful driving! :D
    WA racked up the k's cause everything is off the highway and out of the way:mad:
    We had a tight schedule so had to pick what we could and couldn't do as we went, but took our time through wa as probably won't be back for a while and it's too far away

7. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

If you want to enter Indigenous controlled land I suggest you just turn up at the council and ask. Always got a yes when I have. You may have to wait a while, Murries don't work fast.

Even if you have a 'permit' I suggest you drop by and tell them you're there and what you're up to.

8. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

We're heading off from Broome to Townsville on Monday morning next week :) Four big days of driving. I'm a bit nervous because the forecast says chance of rain and storms (various percentages) across Kimberley and NT over next week. Not surprising really but I know the rain can be intense when it falls. Does anyone think four days is pushing it, would you allow longer? Need to be in Townsville by arvo on Christmas eve.

9. bob shovel

That's some big days driving. doable but hard going.
    I normally work out for long drives as a guide that every 100km will take 1hr 10min. You've got just under 4000km to cover.

I prefer to start early before sunrise rather than driving at night after a long day. Get up and leave a few hours before sunrise so that your"night driving" is early on then when the sun comes up it's like you're just starting :)

10. ellejay

Thanks for that, will be early starts all 4 days. My boss wants me to work Tuesday and not leave until Wednesday but with the weather I reckon that's too risky. When it rains out there it's quite scary, very intense, you can't see the road or more importantly the side of the road. Could end up spending Christmas day in the Queensland desert if we even make it that far. I'm heading off Tuesday morning at the latest I reckon and that way we can stop for a while if it rains and not take too many risks.

11. Robert Petty

Robert Petty Well-Known Member

IMG_2125.PNG IMG_2124.PNG I've only briefly looked at this thread and I'm getting the idea that we're all talking about road trips that we've done?
    I somehow drove from Byron Bay to Perth in four days. I've attached photos that show the dates and where the photos were taken as evidence. The first photo was at Ebor falls something like three hours out of Byron Bay and was taken on my first day of driving, and the second photo was taken a bit before midnight on the third day when I arrived at my destination in Perth. The cars busted up because I had an accident with a kangaroo about an hour away from my destination in Perth. So annoying because I had a perfect drive the whole drive up until then :(
    Ps. I did the whole drive by my self.

Last edited: 16th Dec, 2016
    willair and ellejay like this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't like to be driving east in the early morning unless you stop for a meal break at the same time as the sun is in your eyes.

13. ellejay

We'll be heading off at 5am tomorrow. Weather warning in place :eek:

14. ellejay

Last day in Broome. It took four full days of driving to get from Broome to Townsville. Imho most of the trip was indeed extremely boring (apart from a small, unexpected personal issue).

Attached Files:

bob shovel and Sackie like this.
  15. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I retired end of last year and earlier we decided to do the big lap in a motorhome. But we changed our mind as there is still so much overseas I want to see. We are travelling full time, between our motorhome and overseas. In June/Juky we headed up inland from Sydney, through the Lightning Ridge as far north as Port Douglas. Then down via Atherton Tablelands which is stunning. We have no desire to to thousands of K's a week. End of Feb we are heading south for a few months (Vic, SA). We spend a month in Tassie and will go minimum 3 months next time (end 2017?). We have such a beautiful country but I worry about long driving days. We are in Kathetine at the moment but we flew to Darwin and hired a car. We Nat come back in the motorhome though. I think we bet fly to Broome, it seems to far to drive.

ellejay and Nemo30 like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Don't why why everyotime i read the title of the thread I think of lap dancing....

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Shhhh! You wondered why the Grey Nomads rave about it - now you've let the cat out of the bag. :confused:

Sackie likes this.
  18. ellejay

Yes that would bring some much needed excitement..if they were male lap dancers. It's my birthday today so if you could send some over...I'm happy to stand in as the pole :D

Sackie likes this.
  19. ellejay

Beautiful Bucasia Beach dog friendly camping. Decided to give swimming a miss 20161226_160936.jpg

Sackie likes this.
  20. ellejay

Do lap dancers even use poles?