Travel & Holidays Is 'the lap' boring?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 16th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

There were a few bad days. Rained the whole way across the Nullarbor, which was disappointing. Lost my tent along there, too. At nights after that, 'camp' was a plastic sheet tied from the bike to the ground. As I lay there beside the wheels I remembered thinking most nights that it would be a problem if some dill decided to kick the bike over. I stayed in a camp grounds and deliberately parked near the grey nomads for two reasons: first up I thought they were less likely to kick the bike over, and secondly I thought they were sure to have a spare seat at their table and a willingness for some company. It worked a treat; I managed to get invited to dinner by someone every night.

Gockie likes this.
  2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's a shame about your tent, but good that you were able to meet people every night. Dinner is a bonus!
    How long did it take to cross the Nullarbor?

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would not be standing around there at high tide with a stubbie,a big salt water croc would be use the jetty as a springboard..

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yep. I've been on a tinnie in Kakadu, never again.
    "In 2011 Kevin Eccles was admitted to hospital after being savaged by a crocodile.
    A 2.5m (8.2ft) croc jumped out of the water and latched on to his shoulder while he was sitting in his 4.5m (14.7ft) boat."

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/north...ishing-in-kakadu/story-fnk0b1zt-1226946962619

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a mate in nth qld with a jetty just like Bob posted on a sugar cane farm ,one night on high tide as pulling in a grab pot a big saltie just sprang out of the water crab pot in the mouth and landed on the small jetty..

The Falcon and bob shovel like this.
  6. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Not sure. It was a while ago. I was travelling pretty quickly given there is absolutely nothing to see, but I would have stopped overnight once somewhere.

7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

That looks like croc country ;) We did catch a croc once in our crab nets. We let him keep them - we suddenly felt like fish and chips instead.

8. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I've got internet connection woes but love the stories. Doing the lap is all about this stuff, losing your tent on the nullarbor and accidently catching a croc :)

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Crocs are a myth aren't they??:p i was quicker than the other tourists there so was quietly confident ;)

Just got out of the bungle bungles. ...omg worst road I've been on! 60km of torture! 95% corrugated. Then they have the hide to sell a "i survived the road in" bumper sticker!
    ...But it was awesome in there! Amazing place
    20160920_144046.jpg

The Falcon and ellejay like this.
  10. bob shovel

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good fun. How's your suspension?
    One of the worst roads I've been on was in Kakadu. But it was fine after they graded it on the way out. Bad timing.

12. bob shovel

Suspension is good. Everything seems in its place, just reversing light has a dodgey connection, bit of a whack and wiggle got it going again ;)

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Excellent.
    That dodgy connection probably wasn't from the car bumping around everywhere. Probably would've happened on Parramatta Rd ;)

14. bob shovel

True! It was my dodgey wiring that's why i know the trick to getting it going again :D

Got into kununurra today, it's like driving in to an oasis seeing greeness and water flowing!

ellejay likes this.
  15. ellejay

We did pass eachother on the highway Bob, we got to Broome today. I reckon Kununurra is stunning and definitely an oasis.

16. bob shovel

You made it! :D

We left Broome in the 19th and did last night outside the bungle bungles and night before a few hundred km west of halls creek

17. ellejay

What are you doing next, where's your base, have you finished travelling for a while? So many questions!

18. bob shovel

We're going to try to do the next 2 years in Sydney:eek:
    Base. ... everyone on the road asks where your from and I'm starting to get tired explaining lol:)
    We're both originally from Sydney but since 2009 we've only done 2 years there! We are giving ourselves 2 years min to get all our stuff in order and spend time with the grandparents (only if we have to:D) then start exploring around for the forever*(longer term) house

19. ellejay

Sounds good. I actually really like Sydney, but only if I don't have to work there. It's got alot going for it.

bob shovel likes this.
  20. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, lower the pressure on your tyres. With some of the roads we've been on of late I feel like the corrugated road expert.... Just lower the PSI and drive (safely) fast and it will be a much comfier ride.