Is Sydney the world's largest debt fueled housing bubble?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Pete Arendt, 28th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pete Arendt

Pete Arendt Well-Known Member

We all know that Australia has the 2nd highest level of household debt in the world, a de-stabilising 191 per cent of household disposable income.

Has anyone seen this in the FinRevew today:

Sydney's huge housing investment debt, compared with other Australian cities

[​IMG]

With so much debt concentrated in the Sydney property bubble, does this mean Sydney has the world's largest debt fueled housing bubble?

And if so, what is going to happen when the boom turns to the inevitable bust?

Brickbybrick likes this.
  2. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I think the graph should be at the very least normalised by population, but I am surprised at the difference between sydney and melbourne considering their similar populations-ish.

Brickbybrick and Perthguy like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

The graph is old. Since then there has been more investor activity in Melbourne than in Sydney.

4. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Good point

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Evidence that it's "de-stabilising"?

No.

It's not a bubble and it won't bust. It's a boom and it will correct like it always does.

Whitecat and Propertunity like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That will be the Banks problem ,and once you scope down on just the Australia wide %numbers on ppor that are unencumbered it would paint a different picture..

7. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Look at those job vacancies! Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 8.01.14 am.png

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  8. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

But do those unencumbered PPOR's help either the banks or heavily indebted borrowers balance sheets? They aren't really relevant.

If I'm in a lot of debt, how does it help me that both my neighbours have their houses paid off.

Whitecat likes this.
  9. Perthguy

I think the point being made is that a speculative debt bubble will burst and the market will crash. How many properties are over leveraged is very relevant to this discussion as is the number of unencumbered properties. Will a handful of forced sales crash the market if a large number of properties are unencumbered and the owners are not forced to sell?

To use your analogy, you are in a lot of debt, interest rates go up and you are forced to sell. That is relevant to you but is it relevant to the market?

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think the emphasis on economic inequality is over rated in Australia..

Angel likes this.
  11. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The World’s Biggest Real Estate Bubbles in 2021

Ranked: The World’s Biggest Real Estate Bubbles in 2021
    Identifying real estate bubbles is a tricky business. After all, even though many of us “know a bubble when we see it”, we don’t have tangible proof of a bubble until it actually bursts.

And by then, it’s too late.

The map above, based on data from the Real Estate Bubble Index by UBS, serves as an early warning system, evaluating 25 global cities and scoring them based on their bubble risk.

Reading the Signs
    Bubbles are hard to distinguish in real-time as investors must judge whether a market’s pricing accurately reflects what will happen in the future. Even so, there are some signs to watch out for.

As one example, a decoupling of prices from local incomes and rents is a common red flag. As well, imbalances in the real economy, such as excessive construction activity and lending can signal a bubble in the making.

With this in mind, which global markets are exhibiting the most bubble risk?

Sackie and chindonly like this.
  12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Hasn’t UBS also been saying Australian real estate is over valued for the last 10 years +?

A quick search indicating 5 - 20% declines in 2018.

https://www.thechainsaw.com/australia-house-price-outlook-ubs-credit-crunch-2018-5/amp

I’m not saying there is no risk etc, but someone with a very poor track record may not be a great source of their analysis.

Sackie and datto like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia