Is Sydney Expensive

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Dean Collins, 30th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I'd guess the amount of rooms in the larger homes you are talking about, that are unoccupied, is staggering. So true also, that many will take what's on offer without serious consideration of their specific needs re: the environment they live in.

2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

That might be the key point. Also, things that are not commonly used tend to be expensive. Think of common fittings in a house for example - items like doors, windows, etc are cheaper if you get the standard sizes. It's more expensive if you want a custom size or design. If something like double glazing was the minimum standard required, the price would naturally drop because it would be then produced in very high quantities and get economy of scale

3. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

It seems ludicrous to me that people have to pay for parking at the beach. No doubt this is certain councils gouging additional revenue....

4. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

Likewise, I would prefer to be on an average per capita wage in the US rather than on an average per capita wage here just because the USD goes much farther, with everything being low cost. For the minimum wages though, one may not be better off in the states due to their lower minimum wages so they are good here.

5. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

You don’t seem to be aware of a number of national parks in NSW (or other states) where you need to buy entry/parking tickets.

6. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

He stated (national parks to a degree)

7. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

sad but true.. anythign to raise money now days.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Apparently Sydney is in for a rental crisis and rents are only going to get more expensive due in part to immigration and the absorbtion of the oversupply. The President of the REINSW suggests that you get a second job.

Good news for LL's in Sydney.

Dean Collins likes this.
  9. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

I've got a suggestion......reintroduce the 50% LTCG for expats and i'll buy another IP.
    :)

But since this was introduced our money is going into USA equities (though Sydney IP's let me sleep at night....unlike USA equities which give me heatburn......eg $INTC ceo resigning because he couldn't keep it in his pants.......still waiting for my portfolio to recover from this one).

Seriously though, people keep telling me rents are going down but all of ours went up around 2% this year as I posted previously.
    Happy to buy and hold.....time=money.

10. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

2 things...
    1. Sydney is expensive. $1M for a poobox house??! I'm sure Sydney is a great place to live but so is Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth etc. I know all the FIRE jobs are in Sydney and pay well....but a city also needs childcare workers, teachers, cleaners, waiters.....the balance is out and something will have to give (seems to be correcting now).

2. Re build quality....most homebuyers dont get it. All you guys complaining of drafy, single glazed properties in Melbourne...spare a thought for those same drafty single glazed that are being built in Darwin...the same designs!!! We like to call them ovens and it's all people are buying.....it's idiotic...

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

BUT it costs more to build properly, to build to the climate or for efficiency. Buyers are looking at the initial outlay, not the ongoing costs of running the place.

The stupidity starts at the top - we're churning out units but there are no requirements for the same water/power efficiency measures as would be imposed for a single house (including separation of water meters). The problem magnified many times over for bigger complexes. Cram them in as cheaply as possible, include all the whistles and bells, make it look 'nice' and make sure they sell - then it's not the developer's problem, they've moved on.

hammer and Codie like this.
  12. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Much easier to complain about paying for really big electricity bills for heating or cooling in poorly built and desighned homes than the real issue..
    Many houses in our area are orientated in the wrong direction and the houses dont get cooled by the summer sea breeze . There power bills are double of that of a house where the front or rear of the house can catch the sea breeze once the windows are opened.

Dean Collins likes this.
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I live a few hrs drive west of Bondi.....which way should I face my home to get the sea breeze ?

Also, if house is square or close too....putvwindows on the sea side ?

Insulated houses on slabs are the best imo when hot or cold. The worst are post war types....

Dean Collins likes this.
  14. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Lucky you........NOT!

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Nah, insulated houses on stumps with big windows on the northern and eastern sides.