Is Super a tax dodge for the rich?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Zenith Chaos, 30th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Super contributions are taxed at 30% for those with a taxable income over $250k.

Anyway, the system isn’t perfect but I haven’t heard of a better alternative so happy to stick with the current format for now.

The graph should shows percentiles broken down in increments of 10 but then increments of 5 when it gets to the 90. At a glance it makes the issue raised seem bigger than what it is. Also the people who sit in the 90+ income percentiles have paid so much over the years in income tax, the savings from super would be pale in comparison.

Last edited: 30th Jan, 2021
    Sackie, oracle and ChrisP73 like this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Also, the rich will find ways to increase their wealth, with or without Super - even the non rich can do, if the desire is strong enough.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Education/training, better/different job, side gig, budgeting, reviewor cut discretionary expenses etc

Sackie, ChrisP73 and kierank like this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I had a mate who inherited $3M and turned it into $300,000 at best (he recently passed away unexpectedly and I am providing input into the handling of his Estate).

He needed all of these:

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yes. super benefits those with wealth. Any tax adviser since 1993 would agree. A must shorter post than above. Super in all its forms is one of the most tax advantaged "schemes" since...1978...not Keating.